Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Framegirl
Organisation: Bledlow Ridge
Interests: Framing

Scuff marks on coloured board

Post by Framegirl »

I have just cut a mount on a dark blue board, but whilst it was face side down it got 'scuffed' so now has some marks on it. Any tips for removing or disguising these without having to redo the mount (and potentially have the same thing happen again).

Thanks for any advice :)
Graysalchemy

Re: Scuff marks on coloured board

Post by Graysalchemy »

Bar putting another mount over the top no. You just need to be careful in handling the board. Was it definitely scuffed before you cut it? The reason I ask is that is you buy mounts by the single sheet from whole sellers then there is potential for damage before you get to cut it.
Framegirl
Organisation: Bledlow Ridge
Interests: Framing

Post by Framegirl »

No, it wasn't scuffed before I cut it. I cut it face down on my Keencut so it must have been the process of rotating it. It's annoying as it's my last piece in that colour!

Oh well!
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Post by muffinski »

if you have a slight impression on mount board you could try swipinging a moist cotton swab/earbud. Introducing slight moisture enables fibres to relax and turn to their original appearence, I am quoting from a JAmes Miller book.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

If cutting face down ( the norm for manual mount cutting) then cut- pick up - rotate - put down- cut - pick up - rotate etc...... ok it takes longer but not as long as cutting another mount, also change you slipmount often, I used to always start a new session of mount cutting with a new slipmount and new blade. I have also found that Arqadia dark mounts are more resistant to scuffing than other makes of mountcard.
I know this has not answered the question of how to get rid of the scuff marks, but by the time you have messed around with trying to remove them/disguise them, it would be quicker and cheaper to just cut another mount, well that is if you have enough to cut another mount
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I use a damp brush dipped in distilled water. It can work well for light scuffs, don't want to make it too wet just enough to lift the fibres.