Underpinner not working, please help!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Anna
Organisation: Plymouth Framing & Picture Centre
Interests: Painting

Underpinner not working, please help!

Post by Anna »

My Pistorius manual underpinner just stopped working after changed the wedges nails but the nails are the same as before. When you press the foot petal then it make a big noise"bang" and the nail only gone through the moulding half wig or not come up at all, it happens when the nail is running nearly out or lock handle is not locked, the previous owner told me to clean and put oil in the chain and the driver, but after that still not working :((((

Any information or help will be grateful!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Underpinner not working, please help!

Post by Not your average framer »

There is not a lot to go wrong with the manual pistorius underpinner. They are built like tanks and therefore I'd be surprised if anything is broken.

The most obvious things to check at first will be the hammer, if it's got one the hammer return spring and the wedge magazine feed spring.

The hammer should come upto the the top of the base plate at the top of the machine. If it no longer does, you will need to investigate why.

Please excuse me for suggesting this but are the wedges the right way up. The dull side of a stick of wedges faces up. I don't expect that you've done this, but it's just another possibility to illiminate.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Did you put the nails in upside down?

Opps I C mark already asked this.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Thanks so much for your replies! Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking, it's simple tough machine, I love it.

We even took part of the driver and it looks no problem at all, and I keep trying see if it works, one time works from ten times try. And I'm sure that the nail wedges are in the right way.

Now we are going to check all the springs as you suggested. Hopefully can find something and I will update what's happening.

Thanks very much again
Anna

Post by Anna »

My god, I couldn't believe that the I did put the wedges upside down, just tried to turn over the wedges then it is working perfectly:))) this forum website is amazing!!!

Thanks so much for your guys help
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

No problem Anna, Almoast every framer has made this same mistake (except me of course) so don't worry about it and keep on posting., it gives me something to read at night when I can't sleep.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I haven't either......

Because you can only put them the right way with a cassese. :giggle: