Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
John Andreae
Organisation: Macclesfield
Interests: beekeeping, walking, growing veg, framing, music etc

Stretching a canvas

Post by John Andreae »

I have stretched a few canvasses successfully with usual equipment- canvas pliers etc- but I have been given a print on canvas to stretch and on first inspection the canvas seems very non pliable. I can see it might be difficult to get a nice tight and square wrap round to the back. (It's not going to be framed) .
Any experience/ comments would be helpful.

John
prospero

Re: Stretching a canvas

Post by prospero »

You can only take what you are given and do the best you can. One thing I would check being that it has com from a source
unknown to you is that it's been properly finished with a decent protective coating. I had a very bad experience with some
canvas prints that someone had done at a local printers. They weren't coated at all. Something I discovered after leaving a big
fingerprint on one. They were worse than a pastel. :roll: Stretching a canvas is a fairly violent process so the prints need to
stand up to handling.

Sometimes you can arrange the corner folds so the laps are at the top/bottom, leaving a clean edge.
Or use a minimal tray frame.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Benhen
Organisation: Ben Henriques
Interests: Fine frames

Re: Stretching a canvas

Post by Benhen »

If it was oil on canvas a little gentle misting with water makes the canvas more supple. But heaven knows what new fangled chemistry is at work with what you have to deal with.