Re: Bits stuck under glass!

Post by DaveJ »

Right, gotcha.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Whenever I can i assemble working up to the top sheet of glass and then apply P90 tape to the perimeter, checking for flumbs beforehand. Once its clean and taped there's nothing that can get in and you can move it around at will.........bugger me what's that!
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The best anti-flumb bit of kit I have is my glass cleaning/final assembly surface. It's a 4x3 sheet of 3mm MDF painted black and covered in staggered lines of domed rubber frame bumpers (with their self adhesive backed up with more serious stuff) about 3" apart.

Last time I replaced it I made a grid of adhesive (it is actually called "serious stuff") to place the bumpers on and I toyed with the idea of just letting it dry and seeing how that would work.
Skinnymarinky
Organisation: Zinc White
Interests: Painting, Drawing, Sailing, Cycling, Re-using old materials - creatively.

Post by Skinnymarinky »

Dust is more likely to settle on a horizontal surface than a vertical one!

I've never put a frame together while it's horizontal, I stand them up on a shelf, clean glass, pop it in, quick blast of air on inside of glass and face of artwork and in it goes. Squeeze together the small ones and lay on bench, or put a few points in the big ones while still vertical, then move to bench. Don't see many flumbs. Try it ;-)
prospero

Post by prospero »

:P You will get more dust floating about if you go blasting air all over the place. :roll:

I don't even make sudden moves when I'm assembling. In fact I hardly ever make sudden moves at all. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I always blast with air.
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

I have about 20 guys on work placements who can deal with thing like this, so not a problem for me at all!

On a serious note, I've always just seen it as part of the framing process. There's something quite therapeutic about spending time dusting out a frame before assembly. I've tried getting some of the guys assembling face up, but it's lead to glass smashing and damaging pictures. Is that something that's happened to anyone else? Just more care needed?
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Post by DaveJ »

Thanks all :clap: