A question about the caption aperture

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

A question about the caption aperture

Post by Rainbow »

I've got two graduation day photographs to frame. At the moment they are in the photographer's mount, with the logo of the university at the bottom of the mount, embossed in gold. The borders of the mount are very narrow (32mm) so the logo already almost falls off the bottom and would be partly covered by the rebate if used in a frame.

The customer agrees that I should cut a new, wider mount, with an aperture below the photograph for the logo. But because the logo is on mountboard, it would stand proud of the photograph. So should I build up the photograph somehow from the back, or make a slot in the back board for the caption to drop into so that it's level with the photograph?

Also... I've got dozens of white/neutral board samples and none of them are the exact shade of the photographer's board, which may be old, discoloured stock anyway. A small amount of the existing board will be seen in the caption aperture. I have a sample which is very close in colour - would you use that, or go for a definite contrast, or get more samples in the hope that one might be exact...?
prospero

Re: A question about the caption aperture

Post by prospero »

Yes those photo mounts are weird. :?

With a bit of jiggling you can perch the bottom edge close to the sight edge of the frame so it can actually be read,
but it's a bit of a lash-up job. Remounting is much the better option, but people tend to want to retain the Uni logo.
Some even expect that you can print it on with your extensive collection of logo rubber stamps. :lol:

Why not do a double mount and sink the cut-out logo into the bottom layer. :wink: Everything would be nice and level then.

I wouldn't trouble to match the boards. A contrast looks better than not quite the same.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The board is made up of plys and surface paper, peel the surface paper away and cut the logo out (with some space around of course)! Do it bit by bit from the back if you like, to reduce the chances of creasing it.

We do it all the time, safe in the knowledge we can replace if we screw up but have not so far. You could possibly toss it in a bucket of water until it delaminates too. I've not tried that on these things but it works great on mount board surface paper.

I'd go for contrast with either a double mount or a colour core board.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Thank you for all your advice :)
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Could you just cut a new bigger mount with an aperture for the photo and an aperture for the logo and place it right on top of the existing mount?

Done it with a few things, not sure how it would go with this one...
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Is the mount it is in one of the pressed out. card mounts, normally dark blue?
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Did one of these today. Downloaded the university logo, changed the colour from blue to gold using PS Elements (to match photographers embossed one on the cheap pressed mount).

Then printed it on photo paper and cut a 2 aperture double mount and framed.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

What did you do with the 'cheap pressed mount"?

If it was not to be kept safe, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to, why not have a go at what I do first and save some time and effort?

YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Robo,

I've still got the cheap pressed mount so will try your suggestion. Most of the time these mounts are dark blue in colour and could be a bit limiting when trying to find a suitable combination for a double mount. The latest cheap pressed mount is cream/off white - this is more useful I think. And it reinforces the need to try your technique.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

If it is one of the cheap pressed mounts, it really needs to come out of it anyway, it won't do the photograph any good, I usually take them out cut a mount in a suitable colour with a double aperture that looks pleasing platform mount the photo, I just cut up the cheap pressed mount and use the cut out logo in the second aperture, this one can be taped on as it is thick card and won't ripple.
There is little point preserving the cheap pressed mount unless the customer wants it kept, of course the customer is consulted before hacking anything to peices.

Generally when you explain that these mounts are supposed to be temporary and they will eat the picture if framed in the temporary mount (OK just speed up fading from out gassing) the customer will go with your suggestion so long as the logo is in.