A funny thing happened on the way home from work

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

A funny thing happened on the way home from work

Post by Roboframer »

Well, at least it did for my wife.....

We locked up the shop, I headed for my car 300 yards away, Pat went to the shop for a few bits before heading home in hers, parked at the back of the shop - normal routine. (Why 2 cars - long story!)

We usually arrive home pretty much at the same time - depending on the queue in the shop - or who she gets bunnying to - esp as she is now a parish councillor.

Today I had almost got dinner cooked by the time she got in - soaked to the skin.

THIS is why - this woman takes no old carp off anyone!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi John,

I used to work for companies within the petro-chemical safety systems industry designing safety systems. These included warning systems to prevent helicopters approaching off-shore oil platforms when fumes and gas concentrations exceeded the lower explosive limit.

This is because the heat from an exhaust manifold will ignite explosive vapours and gas. Helicopters have on occasions in the past been literally blown apart in mid air and oil rig workers have been killed or injured too!

Your wife did not exagerate the risk. She was absolutely right!
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

NYAF- small world, I worked on the piper alpha recovery and a lot of ESDV work afterwards! worked for Comex.
I bet we had a lot of your stuff in our subsea weding habitats!
Did you work for MSA?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

kev@frames wrote:NYAF- small world, I worked on the piper alpha recovery and a lot of ESDV work afterwards! worked for Comex.
I bet we had a lot of your stuff in our subsea weding habitats!
Did you work for MSA?
Hi Kev,

No, but I have worked for G.P. Elliot's designing a fire, gas and emergency shut-down system for Petronas's Dulang B offshore production platform (Indonesia).

Also for Silvertech, redesigning some of their remote sensor interface modules & stuff like that.

I think you were more at the business end than me, I just did the technical stuff from a nice safe distance.

I've heard of Comex, aren't they are a staff agency for the oil business.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

I think they are now only into robotics and nuclear stuff, and ocaean/marine research and out of commercial diving altogether, used to run the national hyperbaric centre in aberdeen. Had lovely offices out at Bucksburn, too.
at the time they were a french diving contractors and ran hyperbaric subsea welding habitats, saturation systems etc, they merged with wharton williams at one time then stolt-neilsen. I bailed out about 1992, ish, might have been 94.
Oil business gets confusing, eh, sometimes you were not sure who you were actually working for, specially in "pre health-and-safety" times....
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Re: A funny thing happened on the way home from work

Post by Moglet »

Roboframer wrote:... this woman takes no old carp off anyone!
And may the fire in her belly never be quenched! More power to your elbow, Pat, and the world would be a better place if there were more like you! :D
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.