Cutting mitres

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Estelle
Organisation: Jane's Frames
Interests: Painting

Cutting mitres

Post by Estelle »

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a second hand Morso mitre cutter in good condition and have recently purchased a Cassese Underpinner again second hand. I tend to use wide mouldings for framing my large paintings. I'm repeatedly having the same problem, gaping inside edge of mitre join. My husband has changed the blades on the Morso and checked they're correctly fitted but I'm still having the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas?!?!?
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Cutting mitres

Post by David McCormack »

Hello :D

It could be you need to adjust your left hand fence on the morso. Have a read here http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0&p=105568
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Also, it might be worth while just checking your underpinner, do the joins match neatly before pinning? Any calibration issues with be more evident on wider mouldings BTW.
Estelle

Post by Estelle »

Thanks for both your replies. Will read article David. I've adjusted the inside arm of the Underpinner several times. It always seems correct with the first two joins then the problems start, that's why I'm beginning to suspect the Morso. As you say, the problem is more obvious with wider mouldings.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've posted the solution before, several times - as many others have, or their versions but it's probably quicker to do it again than try and find it/them all!

Get a flat batten at least 3" wide - or a flat moulding but if a moulding cut it face down to take the rebate supports out of the equation.

Make a frame about 10x10", no glue and just two V nails per corner, one front, one back. If it's open at the front, move the left fence back (towards you) a fraction. Don't cut another frame, take this one apart, remove the V nails, trim the ends clean and make a slightly smaller frame; the smaller the frame the better within reason, if you can get a tiny frame in a wide moulding perfect, you're sorted (until the blades wear or you fit new ones, maybe ..but not always ... from my experience not often at all)

I always have a small wide frame under the bench somewhere ready to be broken apart and reduced for morso calibration.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Here's another one...

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... eak#p77948

It's a trick you don't find in the manual. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Estelle

Post by Estelle »

Thank you so much everyone! Problem now solved! Great to know there's a site to refer to with such helpful people when there's a problem. :clap: :P
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Out of interest... for your issue what was the best solution?
Claim to Frame
Organisation: N/a
Interests: Framing

Post by Claim to Frame »

You should be able to save topics into a favourites on here. I have just purchased a second hand morso - so no doubt I will have these sorts of queries! :lol:
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Forum topics can be bookmarked for easy reference.

Scroll down to the bottom of any topic to find the Bookmark link.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)