japenese tissue and starch paste

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

japenese tissue and starch paste

Post by muffinski »

Any recommendations/links for reading on how to use these materials, also looking for a recommended supplier. Some of the more traditional framing suppliers suppliers have recommended in their catalogue that 12gsm is good for photos and light artwork and that heavier papers should use 20gsm is that about right of is there more to it. I appriciate one has to use judgement etc on wieight and paste consistancy but is that a good place to start? I generally do alot of my hinging with cotton rag archival tape.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: japenese tissue and starch paste

Post by Not your average framer »

I would not claim to be an expert at this, but there can be a number of variables which you may encounter which may influence the answer to this question. Besides the wieght of the paper of the item you are wishing onto hinge to some papers that make up the item that you wish to hinge onto
may be more porous, less porous, or even glossy paper and there more, or less easy to bond to so it becomes a less simple question that you may be thinking.

You mention photographs, well the back of some photograph can be both glossy and not that easy to wet with waterbased paste. I'm not aware of much being written on the subject, although I could easily be wrong. I think that a lot comes down to practice and experience. Personally I also vary the width of the tissue paper hinges with different items to be framed as well. I don't know what RoboFramer will have to say about this, but this definitely his subject more than it is mine.

A lot of us get by well enough doing this, but explaining this accurately in words is another matter.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I have an assortment of papers ranging from lens tissue (6 gm ?) to Kozo (38 gm) in both white and natural colors. I normally use wheat paste. I have other adhesives as well for special uses.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I have a link bookmarked at work but I can't find it on Google - did find this though, which isn't bad at all. There's a video too.

http://www.metroframe.com/making-japanese-hinges/

Best suppliers are Preservation Equipment Ltd (PEL) and conservation by design. PEL will not give advice on their products, I don't know about CBD but Arqadia own them I believe so they probably will!

muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Thanks for the responses folks. Good video Robo, they had some other interesting ones, definitely going on bookmarks.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Some useful info about paste drying time and more here.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Thanks David an interesting read :).

So when using japenese hinges on work that will have a mount over it does one still use the t hinge method and with the second part of the hinge is that completely covered with paste and put across. When using cotton rag tape and doing this it has the gummed side exposed which adds extra strenght with the wetted second hinge creating a double bond as such.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yes it is and it doesn't matter if you apply paste to the other bit either, it won't be any stronger.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

cheers Robo :)