Aesthetic opinions please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Elphie Granger
Organisation: Just a novice
Interests: I spend most of my time being a toddler mom, but I also like read and garden.

Re: Aesthetic opinions please

Post by Elphie Granger »

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts, and a huge thanks for directing me to the Larson Juhl framing tool. What a fantastic discovery.

I was able to match a narrow gold mould with a very narrow black mat. I don't think the tool was designed to allow for top mats that narrow, because it promptly crashed before I took a screenshot, and I was unable to recreate it. However, I did manage to get a low fidelity phone shot, which I'm attaching for anyone who is curious about what I decided on. This morning I was certain I would be adding a 3 to 4 inch wide, white, bottom mat under that narrow black one, as I read in a book that leaving less than 3 inches "crowds" the art. But after all this talk about mounting being over kill for posters, I am beginning to doubt myself again! :oops: The paper on the print is beautiful and textured, and would likely look lovely set directly against the black mat without the second white mat.

I will be paying to have this frame made, but I'm going to continue to be on the look out for framing classes in my area. Clearly, framing is an art all on its own. Plus, I have a closet full of "art" in tube containers, and can't stand being an ultra plain "poster sticker" :lol:
Attachments
Framing Quidditch.jpeg
Framing Quidditch.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1416 times
Elphie Granger
Organisation: Just a novice
Interests: I spend most of my time being a toddler mom, but I also like read and garden.

Re: Aesthetic opinions please

Post by Elphie Granger »

IFGL, that red frame and inner red line is striking.

Roboframer, that framed menu in your toilet is GORGEOUS. Someone said you fix everything with gobs of silicone; perhaps you are my husband, and secretly have a framing passion....and a private bathroom.

Jayvee, holy crap! Those mats and frames you chose are sort of what I had imagined I'd find when I started this whole process. I'm in love with the last one. I may now be swayed.