Web site creation software

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Graysalchemy

Re: Web site creation software

Post by Graysalchemy »

Great looking Site Richard, just shows how little time it takes to get a preffesional looking basic site up and running.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Mark, your Google+ page doesn't even have a telephone number, let alone an address or email address.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It does if you click "about" - no email address though - but not many would be bothered to look much further.

Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I clicked about and it took me back to the same page. I assumed that the "about" to which you referred was about Google, not about the Dartmoor Gallery.

If people have to click again, they won't bother.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Maybe there's another "about" or maybe you have to be signed in to your google account, but this is what I get.
Attachments
NYAF Googleplus.jpg
NYAF Googleplus.jpg (209.3 KiB) Viewed 39009 times
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Sorry, I clicked on "Dartmoor Gallery" and it took me back to the same page. The "about" button is next to all sorts of google-related tat, so I assumed it had something to do with Google. Too difficult to find, anway.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It displays differently on my computer and does not have all those white boxes blocking the view of the website. I don't know why they call themselves "Map Registrations" instead of Google. Is this intended to appear on Google maps, or something like that? I don't know, but at least I don't have to pay for this three months free trial. I must say that I'm not greatly impressed! They'll have to try a lot harder than that to pursuade me to pay anything at all for that.

I've been away attending various different things for the last few weeks and won't get any real free time until the end of this month. The website will then become a priority task after that. If previous years are a good indication, then the first half of Novenber should not be too busy and I will be able to get to grips with doing something useful and getting something up and running. I don't look at other framers websites very much and don't particularly know what is the "in" look at the moment, so I be checking this out as well.

I giving a bit of thought to what key words would work well for me and I'm not finding it very easy to get into the heads on customers who are likely to be typing in search terms into Google. The words that you would probably pick as someone with framing knowledge might not be the best ones to use. I've asked a few friends, who've got even less idea than me. The big buzz phrase "at low prices" definitely won't be one of them.

I can't remember much about my earlier days in the shop since my stroke and I'm not sure whether customers knew about handfinished frames already, or if they picked it up from me as the went along. Searching for handfinished picture frames doesn't bring up many framers, which for me, I hope is a good thing as I'm not competing against many others doing the same thing. Until now, it all been "word of mouth" which works differently to how you get customers via the internet. So I may have a lot to learns before getting much in results.

While all this is going on, I'm down sizing my workshop and my stock, as this seems to be a sensible thing to do, because during next year I will become a pensioner and will at sometime have to consider the fact that the time will come someday when I have to call it quits and may not be fit enough to cope with clearing the shop before moving out.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote:It displays differently on my computer and does not have all those white boxes blocking the view of the website.
The white boxes are what happens if you click on "about" .

All very strange this, stating things are slow, deciding a website would be a good way to try and make things better, getting encouragement and great advice with examples and then, basically, making excuses for not doing it.
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

It sounds like you have lots on at the moment and there are more immediate things to deal with, but it sounds like you have a good plan on how to structure things for the future.

I am glad you mentioned the name 'Map Registrations' as I've heard of them before, sorry but I believe they are a cold calling company who have nothing to do with google directly, to put it bluntly I think they just try to get money out of people for nothing, and as you have not paid anything yet I would have nothing further to do with them. I don't think it is unfair to call cold calling businesses like this a con!

See these links for more info:

https://conversation.which.co.uk/techno ... ting-scam/

http://onlineownership.com/businesses-b ... strations/

http://onlineownership.com/map-registra ... e-reviews/

Good luck with the plans.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks for telling me, I have not agreed to entering into a contract with them and have no intention of doing so either, so I would have thought that there's not a lot that they can do about that.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'd make sure about that if I were you, you have allowed them to set that up for you and after 3 months, if you do nothing, they might start chasing you for money because you have not cancelled or something. Like I said earlier, it's doing you no favours anyway - get it taken out and set up your own google plus page if you want one; according to one of those links it takes about 18 mins!

Not your average framer

Thank you John,

Map registrations phoned up this morning to see how things are going. I asked them if they are part of Google, they are not, but all of their information is produced to look like they are part of Google. They have now registered my business with Google and they control what should be my account with Google and what money for administrating anything to with my business name. I have looked at the links and obviously need to look again, this time very carefully.

Whatever you do don't get conned by them like I was!

We have distant relations in my family who are involved in law, publicity, and a Conservative party MP. Maybe I can do more about this than they think.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Thismight explain things Mark. Basically they will charge you to release you.
Not your average framer

These people arranged for google to send me a pin number and said that they would phone me to ask for the pin number, implying that they were sending me this pin number. They have set up what should have been my account and have ownership of the Google business account for my name.

I won't be paying them a penny, I'm making plans to change my business name and to prepare press statements about being forced to change my business name because of the deceptive and immoral behaviour of the company and send it to as many newspapers, radio stations and television stations as I can think off.

I know plenty about PR and handled the right way, this is a very news worthy story. The media love stories about big companies taking advantage of the inocent little guy who has done nothing wrong. They are not really interested in most scams, or people complaining about this, or that. You have to be forced into taking drastic action and make it a sad and cruel story, then they'll go for it in spade fulls. Somebody should be doing something about this, so I guess it will have to be me.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

The last link posted also has details on how to get out of it without paying them anything...

http://onlineownership.com/get-my-busin ... strations/

Might be worth a try too.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Not your average framer

Yes, I've tried it, but it won't let me register. It doesn't say why.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

There should be no reason why you can't create a google account, just try again. Then follow the instructions given in the link above to verify your business and transfer ownership to yourself. Hope you get it sorted.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Turnerframing
Organisation: Turner Framing
Interests: Fine Art, American Football NFL, XBox

Post by Turnerframing »

I can not recommend enough getting an Instagram account to go with your website, Ive recently opened my business in Belfast and have my workshop on a busy road not known for retail. Although I have a really good website with 1&1 ions www.turnerframing.co.uk most of my work is coming in 'about 70%' via Instagram. DT
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

TurnerFraming, what a fascinating thread to bump and read again :D

Unlike NYAF I look at every FF members website's, very sad I know, I just can't help it :oops: I think yours is great BTW :clap: :clap: :clap:

Peter.