Morso F Guillotine

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

You should have got a rule which goes from 500mm to 1500mm also….this comes standard with a new machine…….the Rule was NOT cut down, this is how Morso ship the machines the 500 to 1500mm rule is attached with a few bolts you can see the bolt holes on right arm after the where the 500mm rule stops.

You can also buy as an extra an extension for the right hand arm so that the rule is support to 1500mm

Drop Morso an email http://www.morso-guillotines.dk/ with the serial number of the machine and your postal details and they will send you a manual which details all the parts etc for YOUR machine.

I hope you did not over pay for the machine, it sounds like you got an incomplete deal.

Good luck…..

Regards

Dermot
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

Thanks Dermot - makes sense now. The machine I got is around 20 years old althouth the paint on the foot lever doesn't suggest that it has been used in anger for that amount of time - it is a very clean machine which came with two sets of spare blades and a set of springs. Going back that far - maybe they didn't ship with the extra rule - it certainly didn't ship with the waste chute which now comes as standard.

I will mail MORSO - I assume that LION are UK distributors for MORSO parts?

Alan
artfulfox
Organisation: Artful Fox
Interests: Music, natural history and extreme ironing ;-)

Post by artfulfox »

It seems as though this Morso thread has run dry, but I've a dilemma as a new comer to the framing business. I'm just starting out as a framer, and hope to make a good business out of it. I have a retiring framer as a Mentor, who has allowed me the use of her equipment as I learn the ropes. However its time I bought my own equipment. (My mentor has a double mitre saw, but I can't afford to start out with one of those, so I'm looking at a Morso). So, I've 2 good quotes for a Morso F:

1) brand new for £1278 (inc VAT) with the promise of help in training/ setup and on-call follow up help any time. Or

2) an ex-demo machine thats 6 months old for £1057.50 (inc VAT), but I'm on my own for setting it up.

So, if its fairly straight forward and a good manual should be all I need, then I guess I should go for option 2, right?! Unless there is distict advantage in buying brand new over an ex demo. I guess I'd need to know things like how to set up the blades, cutting technique and lubrication points for maintenence.

Any advice gratefully received!

Clare.
osgood

Post by osgood »

I reckon all the Morso owners on this forum will be able to give you all the help you need. I don't have that brand, but there is really very little to learn with the one I have.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Just make sure that the blades have been re-sharpened on the second-hand machine and that they are not chipped and that all the parts are with it….for example…..the rebate supports and the stops for the measuring rule and the tools……in other words that it meets the specifications of the new machine…………otherwise at the price quoted it could cost you more than a new machine….

Oh and BTW Welcome....

Rgs

Dermot
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

Alzibiff:

Thers's a couple of things you need to check if your machine is 20 years old.

1. look at the back of your Morso there is a horizontal steel beam that supports the weight of the mechanism, over time this can come slightly loose resulting in the beam rotating every time the pedal is pushed & this can cause the case to crack
- check very carefully for cracks or damage in the case either side of this beam.

2. The older Morso rebate supports can only be adjusted to 25mm in height the newer ones can go to 40mm, new supports will fit your Morso.

3. The pedal may of been replaced as the pedal pins do wear.

Lion can supply any spares you require.

Artfulfox:

Personally i think option 1 is the way to go if it includes delivery / installation & training, the second option throws up a few questions:

Why are they selling the ex-demo machine?
Will a set of new blades be fitted?
will it be fully guaranteed?
is it metric or imperial?
Never rely on the instruction manual!!!

Mark Thornton
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Hi Mark,

Very helpful first post.

Welcome to the forum.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Our Morso is about 20 years old and still works as good as when we first started using it. We have got through 2 or 3 sets of blades in the 20 years and always have then sharpened at Lion -I keep 3 sets and send two pair off at a time to save on postage costs. We had a framer a few years back who managed to cut through a stainless steel metre rule which finished one set of blades off. Lion also send you a condition report each time they sharpen the blades so you do get a bit of advance warning of the blades getting to the end of their life. We have had to replace a couple of other parts over the years but they are readily available and relatively cheap. I have considered getting the electric/pneumatic version but it would only be because it is there, not because the foot operated version is not up to the job. It is the only guillotine we have had and if we felt like replacing it we would not consider any other make.

My framers occasionally have problems with some soft wood mouldings (made from Weetabix is their phrase), some mouldings with a deep scoop on the back and the occasional metallic laquered moulding that cracks when cut. If we get problems we just stop using that moulding - lifes too short to mess about with plasticene!

Robin
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

RobinC wrote:
My framers occasionally have problems with some soft wood mouldings (made from Weetabix is their phrase), some mouldings with a deep scoop on the back and the occasional metallic laquered moulding that cracks when cut. If we get problems we just stop using that moulding - lifes too short to mess about with plasticene!

Robin
I like the term 'Weetabix' mouldings - The Grumble calls it 'Snotwood!'

Glass and mirror sharpen my blades £8 I think - no carriage charge as they use their own vans. They also provide very nice wooden boxes - shaped inside with an insert to keep the blades apart. This after some nasty experiences with the polystyrene boxes they come in, held together with parcel tape usually.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

We package our blades in wooden boxes too for carriage much safer than the polystyrene. Problem is carriage costs it can be up to £20 to send 2 sets back to Lion. We used to have them sharpened locally with no carriage costs but he small company closed when the owner retired.

Such is life!

Robin
artfulfox

Post by artfulfox »

I've done it! I've bought my first Morso!! Thank you Ormond, Dermot, Mark, Robin and John for your good advice and helpful tips. I actually went for the ex-demo option in the end, after reading your advice I spoke to the chap at D&J Simons, who assured me he would put on a brand new set of blades, and that the remainder of the 5 year guarantee would come with it, that it had hardly been used (it was the one they had at the Spring Fair), that it will come with all the trimmings and is metric. If people are buying these heavily used as 20 year old machines, I would hope that this one, that is only 6 months old, will last me my life-time of framing! I hope I've made the right decision. Ooh, I can't wait to get started....

Clare. :D
artfulfox

Post by artfulfox »

oh I forgot to say... they will be offering support and help on the set up and maintnance! And thanks for your kind welcome to the forum.

C.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Ahh - D&J Simons - you can't go wrong.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Super

And the best of luck

Dermot
markw

Post by markw »

good investment - We are lucky in this business that we have some very good suppliers with some very old fashioned values.

Your new Morso will give you many years of superb service.