Wrapped Photo with mount for resale etc

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Wrapped Photo with mount for resale etc

Post by StevenG »

Hi folks

I've had a photographer looking for their photos wrapper in cellophane, with mount/backing - basically leaving them for resale or giving to customers. I'm knocking up a few prices but I'm not sure what the going rate for something like that might be. At the moment I'm working out at £12.73 for a 8x10 with 2" mount yet a 20x16 with 2" mount comes in at £28.43. It's double the size but it's over double the price - my software calculates the labour. I'm thinking should I just price the materials and add a fiver for labour? How do those prices sound?

Appreciate any feedback guys :)

Cheers
Steven
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Wrapped Photo with mount for resale etc

Post by pramsay13 »

You do know a 20 x 16 is actually 4 times larger than a 10 x 8.
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

You're right!!! Don't tell anyone about me please. What's the best thing to do now? Pretend my previous post had typo's or admit I shouldn't be allowed near numbers? :oops:

What do you reckon about costs though?
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

When I'm doing mounts alone I have a separate price structure as I found it didn't really work figuring out exact material costs and adding labour.
So I'm £1.50, £2, £4, £8 for a window mount depending on size, and the same for the backing. I don't wrap them up so I haven't included that.
So my 10 x 8 is £3 for front and back, and my 20 x 16 is £8 front and back.
Even at those prices I'm still more expensive than buying a job lot online, so I'm offering different colours, weird sizes, double mounts etc.
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Those are pretty keen prices to be fair. Maybe I'm expecting too much
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

I think you should work out prices you are comfortable with.
You will get 12 pieces of 8 x 10 card from an Arqadia mountboard sheet, so 6 fronts and backs.
So selling 6 front and back mounts for £76.38 is quite a markup even with mounting. If you can do it then fine, but I'm not sure you'll get many customers at those prices.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Adding a fiver for labour seems a bit harsh. These sort of jobs you can't charge high street rates as you will be competing against contract framers working out of cheaper premises.

You may consider using cellophane bags they come in standard sizes.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Steven,

Look here to see what's available already cut and bagged.
http://www.frithandcompany.co.uk/mount- ... packs.html
Would it be easier, and a lot more profitable, to buy in and sell on ?
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

That's exactly the point I was trying to make Keith.
If it's an artist / photographer looking for a number of standard sizes there are people who can do it far easier and cheaper than I can.
But I do promote that I can offer different colours, double mounts, unusual sizes etc. And even that I can cut mounts while they wait.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Looking at their web site, I have the feeling that the mats are simply white core standard mats. Although "conservation quality" is stated they do not state that the mats are made with alpha cellulose or 100% cotton. They also do not include mounting and insertion labor.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Steven,
Looking at their web site, I have the feeling that the mats are simply white core standard mats. Although "conservation quality" is stated they do not state that the mats are made with alpha cellulose or 100% cotton. They also do not include mounting and insertion labor.

I used to be able to cut 100 mounts per hour on a CMC (you have one) from precut blanks. The blanks and backing boards were cut to size on a Ingento 36" table mounted paper shear. I bought clear plastic bags just like they used on the video from the UK company.
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/ima ... 01?$mdmain$

If you "job cost" the project you come up with approx. 3 minutes per package plus material costs. At $60US that amounts to $3.00 per package plus material and markup. If the cost of a mount and backing is $9.00 uncut, that amounts to $4.50 per package incl. markup. Bags are in the $.70 range plus markup.

Thus:
labor= $3.00
mounts= $4.50
bag= $.70

total= $8.20

Insert you per hour rate and local costs and see what you get. Remember that the "computer bespoke labor rate is for "one's and two's" not the assembly line production you are considering in this project.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice, sorry I haven't replied properly but I had a slight mishap recently & I haven't been in a position use a keyboard :)

That link is pretty useful as I gives me an idea of real costs etc. Yeah, a fiver is a bit harsh & in the real world I wouldn't really ask for that sort of figure, I was just throwing it out there (as the corporate folk say :) ) The bags would be an idea but since most of these photo's aren't standard sizes I'm not sure it would suit the final option.

Anyway, as I said I really appreciate the feedback, it's been a lot of use.

I'm back at work again tomorrow hopefully (the missus has advised we've quite a few jobs in) - must be the start of the Crimbo rush I've been hearing about recently :)

All the best
Steven