stackable box frame moulding

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: stackable box frame moulding

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote:This one is two wide flat obeche profiles joined back-to-back with pocket hole screws. This formed a rebate for the frame to sit in and one for the backing boards. It was finished to match and the finished job is on here somewhere.
That is really neat! I'd have never thought of joining those two mouldings back to back in that way. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think that I need to get a pocket hole jig, any recommendations?

BTW, do you do anything to hide the join between these two mouldings, or just leave them as is?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-Phjig-Po ... B003G2Z626 - the "Gregg" ones are very good/more expensive accordingly.

Here's the finished thing - can't see a join but don't remember actually filling it, just sanding.
Attachments
violin again 012.JPG
violin again 012.JPG (277.76 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Robo, on that box with the childs shoes, did you plant that reeded bit on the bottom or was it part of the moulding.
As mentioned elsewhere a very helpful set of pictures.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Just finished framing this wedding dress in a 8.25" deep box frame, consisting of a square edge moulding joined to 2 pieces (as my saw will only cut 100mm high) of 90mm x 20mm timber and all 3 pieces joined with
pocket hole jig. The spacer to hold glass and cover screw holes and create rebate is 6mm ply ( butted not mitred) and all wood was sprayed to finish
Wedding Dress 2.jpg
Wedding Dress 2.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 5690 times
wedding  dress 1.jpg
wedding dress 1.jpg (812.44 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

That's very nice, with such a short dress , I hope the bride had a good pair of legs :giggle:

How did you fix the mannequin in the frame
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

That's a first-class piece of framing. :D

But I can't help but wonder why anyone would want it framed. It's not particularly decorative.
Well not without the bride in it anyway. :P
In fact it would look a bit creepy having a dismembered torso in a box on your wall. :?

Jus' saying. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Glad it's not just me, Prospero. What a waste of money and wall space! (Framing looks good though.)
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

I tend to agree its a strange thing to have done but I'm not one for turning away work and although the first one took some head scratching, future ones will be fairly straight forward.
We screwed some wooden bars inside the mannequin which also allowed us to fix the whole thing to the backboard. The dress is far longer but the train is tucked inside and stitched to keep in place.

It was the first wedding dress I've ever been asked to frame in nearly 30 years, although we have framed Red Coats for Butlins in the past and it would seem object framing definitely seems to be getting more popular and purchasing a pocket hole drill was a good investment . Word must be spreading as we now now have another wedding dress booked in as well as an Oboe, but luckily not in the same frame!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Just pick-nitting but I think if I were faced with that job I would make it as a case with the
sides glazed. Would would have to stray into the area of woodwork and would need a router
table. Basically, two plinths - one for the base and one for the top. Four square pillars with a
2mm groove cut on adjacent sides. Matching grooves on the base and top. Three. Pillars screwed
to the base - glass slid into front and sides and backboard with manikin attached in the back.
Then just screw the top on. I've never tried it, but I have a stuffed owl cased just like this. :P

Better still a formed acrylic box. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

Take your point,but don't currently possess the equipment,or probably the skills to do that kind of thing so It would be saleable!. If that's what they wanted I would have pointed them in the direction of a cabinetmaker :D