CMC hangs up

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
eroomas
Organisation: Prairie House Custom Frames
Interests: I own a small Frame Shop in Springfield IL and at times would like to exchange Ideas ask and give advic to other picture framers around the globe.

CMC hangs up

Post by eroomas »

Hey everyone, I just bought a 2006 Fletcher Valiani. It works fine on any mats no wider than 20" on the x. Any thing beyond that the cutting head gets stuck. in other words, i I try to cut a mat that has a say 30x30 opening the cutter will stop its x cut at 20 and make the y cut and then gets hung up. With the machine off I can move the cutting head up to 20" but then it wont go any further and I have a hard time forcing it back. The rails look clean and unworn, the belts look fine and the wheels look fine. Can anyone please advise? Thanks in advance.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: CMC hangs up

Post by Merlin »

This fault has come up before.
I suspect that you have the wooden table and the reason that the Y arm is locking is that the right hand end of the table is slightly warped.
This means that the Y arm tracking rails are not parallel to each other.

One quick way of checking is loosen the bolts on the right hand side of the top rail. Slide the Y arm to the right manually and you may notice it will get passed the old stopping point. If it does then re-tighten the rail bolts.
You may need to loosen the bolts on the lower rail as well.
John GCF
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

If it travels 20" ok everything has spun a few turns, if you are feeling physical resistance at that same point when manually pushing it then I would be looking for possible obstructions interfering with it, did you check the teath on the belt, is anything stuck in the channels that the bearings run in, have those channels had an impact, has the bed become twisted?

I am sure there's other things it could be, I think Valiani support USA will have the answers, merlin on here may also be able to help, it might help us if you post some pictures too :)

Edit Forget what I said Merlin already posted
eroomas
Interests: I own a small Frame Shop in Springfield IL and at times would like to exchange Ideas ask and give advic to other picture framers around the globe.

Post by eroomas »

Thanks alot guy's. I will try these things.
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

I've noticed some metal shavings in the top rail. I cleaned them out with a cloth but I believe that these are coming from the wheels.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

have you tried resetting the rails yet ?
Even if you change the wheels/bearings, this same problem will happen again if the bed is warped.

You will need to talk to Chuck Terry the Valiani USA rep. Once WCAF has finished.
John GCF
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

Merlin... I finally got around to resting the rails. It worked! I cant tell you how happy I am. Thanks sooo much :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Pleased to be of service :rock:
John GCF