5 piece canvas art anyone ?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

5 piece canvas art anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

I've had a couple of those 5 piece canvas artwork come in ( see photo below ), not big, 19cm wide, tallest 54cm.
Can anyone recommend a suitable Simons or LION moulding to do these please, I was going to buy from the LION - L2459 which is the Classic profile about 18mm deep for canvases and I can cut that to size but it has a rolled edge, not a straight edge which I think would look better, more like a panel.
What have you used previously ? Thanks in advance, Adam/Bagpuss
IMG_20171003_120555 (002).jpg
IMG_20171003_120555 (002).jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 12369 times
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: 5 piece canvas art anyone ?

Post by StevenG »

I had something similar recently - the customer wanted the cheapest option though. I'm not sure about your example but mine didn't have enough material to stretch around the smallest of moulding. I just ended up sticking them down to 3mm mdf and then framed in a narrow 15mm moulding (Arqadia 427639200). The customer didn't want to see any wood grain so this is what they got! :)
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

try L2427 or the equivalent from the revival range. Only 21 mm deep in the finished moulding but 24mm deep if you use L2427, cut it on its side and paint it yourself.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi Alan, sorry, only just getting round to stretching these 5 canvases and just checked out L2427 ( see photo below ),
I wanted to stretch the canvases onto frames, is that what you were thinking, I've never stretched using this sort of profile before?
Have I got the wrong end of the stick ?
L2427.jpg
L2427.jpg (9.64 KiB) Viewed 12200 times
Thanks,
Adam
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I think you will need stretcher moulding. Stretch the canvases first then frame them using the moulding in my previous post.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

ah, I have used a floater mouldings before but these canvases just need stretching, I was just after a suitable stretcher moulding that isn't too deep but has a clean edge rather than a rounded edge like some stretcher mouldings, thanks anyway.
Adam/Bagpuss
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

I would not advise to Stretch them on a flat moulding as you will see the line on the inner edge of the canvas thats why they have a slightly higher edge on the outside of the stretcher moulding yo keep the canvas away from the timber,
Dave
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I second what Dave says.
I was on holiday recently and in quite a few cafes there were photo canvases of local tourist spots and wildlife.
Nearly all of them had been stretched onto a flat frame and you could see the outline of the frame underneath.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'll third what Dave said. :D

Stretcher moulding has a rounded edge for a reason. A sharp edge will tend to cut into the canvas.

If you want a sharp edge then stick them down to a board and use a front loading moulding which will give a minimal edge.

That sort of thing. There are others available finished.

Or use a simple profile mitred on its back so as to form a little shelf to drop the board in. The mounted print should be of a thickness
to fit the width of the rebate.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

Hi Adam,

I would recommend Arqadia 7215 stretcher moulding which is only 16mm deep and 34 wide and has a nice square edge.

Regards,

Graham
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Just use 40mm square planed timber from B&Q and chamfer the arris off the inside edge with a power plane... Doesn't have to be perfectly neat, very simple to do and you can leave the outside edge sharp.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for the advice everyone, I don't use Arqadia unfortunately, I don't have a power plane either : (
Just Googling companies that sell these already stretched, I see that some stretch over 18mm blocks of what I assume is MDF, rather than a stretcher bar, as you can see from photo below, these aren't very large, has anyone stretched round an MDF panel/block before, for this sort of thing ? Seems like it might be doable ...
2017-10-25 10.56.21.jpg
2017-10-25 10.56.21.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 11996 times
Thanks in advance,
Adam TPF
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I'd PVA them in place and then just wrap as an ordinary canvass... Would be quite heavy compared to timber though, as you'd need to use 18mm to get the depth.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I make canvas panels, canvas stretched over a cradled panel. Use a sheet of hardboard and battens to make the subframe, stretch the canvas as you would normally but use PVA on the hardboard. I use Rose and Hollis F9 spacer for the job but pine form B&Q would do the job if it's the correct dimensions.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

2017-11-20 10.24.14.jpg
2017-11-20 10.24.14.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 11778 times
I thought I'd give you an update, I ended up going to B&Q and got some 12mm x 34mm strip wood, made a frame ( below ) and then stretched the canvas over it, it looked fine, no sign of the frame through the canvas, the customer was v pleased : )
2017-11-19 20.51.22.jpg
2017-11-19 20.51.22.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 11778 times
2017-11-19 20.51.39.jpg
2017-11-19 20.51.39.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 11778 times
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Now sell them 5 floater frames. It's nearly Christmas after all.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Looks good, but has it really take 2 months to do these, my customers don't like it if I'm going to take 2 weeks
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Steve N wrote:Looks good, but has it really take 2 months to do these, my customers don't like it if I'm going to take 2 weeks
Most of my customers are pretty relaxed, I always tell them that some things are worth waiting for :rock:
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Just looked at the five piece canvas set I was brought in to stretch and like the previous ones on this thread they form a picture, Now this will be my first time at canvas stretching.

My first query is has anyone used the Mainline system? was particularly looking at STR-5520 which is 55x20mm that is a cut to size stretcher moulding, it appears you are able to expand if it is required to re tension. (there is a instruction video on there site)

secondly looking a photos of the others done on this thread and it would appear you bring some of the image slightly round the edge is that correct? as I presume it would be quite difficult to get the white border exactly in line.

The image sizes I have are all 300mm wide x 1@800mm x2@650mm x2@500mm with approx 40mm boarder so ready made stretcher bars no good

Thanks Paul
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

I always just use stretcher mouldings for this kind of thing. These ones to be precise https://www.ashworthandthompson.co.uk/m ... -pine.html

I only worry about proper stretcher bars for paintings etc. Apart from anything else, it keeps the cost down for the customer - especially when they spend £30 or so on some canvas prints only to find out it's £200 or so to get them stretched.

I'd also be looking to wrap round a bit less of the image than in bagpuss' picture, but that may just be me.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter