Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
tebbles
Organisation: the frame shop
Interests: music, framing

Pre framing storage

Post by tebbles »

Looking for ideas on safe ways to store customers art before framing. I personally use plan chest and shelving.

Suggestions, or better, pictures of your storage systems please.
prospero

Re: Pre framing storage

Post by prospero »

When I stopped selling prints I took all the sleeves from my print browser and use them for temporary
storage. Otherwise, you can't beat plan chests.

Beware loose objects on the top when you have a drawer open. (and cats :roll: )
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Big plan chests are great, I also have a tall file drawer, with 30 drawers, each is about 14" x 9" x 1" so is good for lots of small works before framing.

Right angle brackets with some timber and foam padding for hanging up frames, I have round dowel and pipe cladding on mine but think flat timber is probably better... also some very heavy duty brackets with 3x2 for holding lots of large frames.

I have a racking unit for storing completed work and framed paintings and so on. Also some wider storage racks for just keeping stock frames in, I've seen some great looking setups in gallery store rooms with huge racks for paintings and frames...
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Better with pics..
Attachments
image4.JPG
image4.JPG (83.64 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (83.86 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (55.13 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (77.36 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
image1 (1).JPG
image1 (1).JPG (86.93 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Storage can be a particular problem for those with small premises and is not something to ignore if you are already struggling for space. I am slowly down sizing and expect to eventually be moving into a smaller working space.

If you are tight for space, you need to be aware that no matter how much a customer promises to collect a large job quickly, because you don't have enough working space, then don't count upon them keeping their promise.

Some customers think that you are providing a free storage facility!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Large plan chest for me plus a couple cheapo pine chest of drawers from the local auction house. One (4 drawer) fits nicely under my 7 x 7 ft work bench. The other is positioned conveniently behind me when doing the final assembly. I find it quicker and less hassle to pop in my local auction house on a viewing day, inspect what is of interests, leave max' bid. I think buying (furniture) from the bay is far more time consuming and often more expensive.

To keep the work shop clear I store stuff that is not so often used (hand tools, framed seconds etc.) in banana boxes under my work bench. They stack nicely and are light to handle.

Because I consider wall space very important for displaying framed items for sale and examples I do not have any shelving.

BTW Framemaker Richard, your pics are great :clap: such clarity. I envy the fact that you, and others, up load pics so effortlessly. They are always a great help and very interesting.

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I got rid of my plan chest, because I am down sizing and eventually plan to operate from smaller premises. I out grew my existing premises years ago, which has made life difficult for years. I have finally decided to down size and not to take on certain types of work in the future. I was already too busy and I want my life back. More storage capacity might not always be the easiest answer!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Katie Dougan
Organisation: Null
Interests: sewing, crochet and keeping my picture framer husband and kids out of trouble

Post by Katie Dougan »

Hi all - a first time poster - but my husband and their family have been framing since 1991. They have been going through a period of reorganisation and refurbishment over the last few years. It’s an ongoing process getting everything sorted and efficient. They now store mounted and loose Work up to a0 in a plan chest that is part of custom built design desk island. Completed work up to a certain size is safely stored there too, in a different section. Joined chop frames awaiting assembly are currently being stored in a StiffyBag for each job awaiting completion. the real problem they have is storing Framed Pictures awaiting remounting reframing et .. They’ve just removed several shelving units which were being used to store junk from a store cupboard and the plan is to store them in big StiffyBags. Although it’s not an ideal solution.