Cassese 969 smart stop or no smart stop?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
tebbles
Organisation: the frame shop
Interests: music, framing

Cassese 969 smart stop or no smart stop?

Post by tebbles »

I'm purchasing a 969 and wondering what peoples opinions are on the smart stop, is it worth the huge price tag? We are bespoke framers, so not too many jobs of 100+ same frames. Will we regret not getting it?
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Re: Cassese 969 smart stop or no smart stop?

Post by China shop »

We've got the saw but not the smart stop. I saw one in action a few weeks ago in another frame shop and I must admit I wish we had it, but can't really justify the price tag on it.
The sliding scale the saw comes with is OK, but it has a little bit of play in it so you do have to be careful when measuring.
My advise for what it's worth is, if you can afford it and justify the high price you'll be glad you got it.
Roger
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't know what the smart stop is, but one tends to assume that anything which is supposed to be smart, probably contains some expensive technology. If this assumption is correct, you might be paying the extra money for something else which one day go wrong and cost an unknown amount to get it fixed. If you don't actually need it, perhaps there are better things you could do with that much money.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

We've been using a smart stop for about 5 years now and I would highly recommend it for a bespoke framer. Its robust very accurate and easy to use :D
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt