Best mount board brand for Keencut

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Just wondering if anyone has any preference for a particular brand of mount board I cut bevels on a Keencut Futura also preference for a particular thickness
I have recently tried the Munken duo for my basic white or cream but at the moment not particularly happy with the cut outs
Many thanks Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ed209

Re: Best mount board brand for Keencut

Post by Ed209 »

Just to add have only used Arqadia and Daler

David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

What is it about the cut outs you're not happy with? Have you calibrated your machine for the Munken board? I find when I change between Daler and Arqadia I need to make small adjustments even though the boards are the same thickness.

Daler and Arqadia are the only boards I use and often find the Daler cuts more easily as if it were less dense. I use a Ultimat Gold.

Before I cut a batch of windowmounts I always check the calibration first and occasionally need to make a wee adjustment. My Ultimat is permanently on my bench now but one time I stored it vertically against the wall and had to make adjustments all the time :Slap:

One thing I hate is under cuts. If you know it has an under cut you can rescue it with a razor blade but it's when you don't catch it in time and it falls out and tears the corner :head:

I know we all strive for the perfect cut on our manual machines but I have come to accept a very small over cut as being the best to aim for 8) Providing I'm using a new blade every few mounts I find a small over cut in the region of 0.5mm just isn't noticeable and the 'fall out' falls out nice and clean.

There, I've said it, I like over cuts :lol:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

David, you change your blade every few cuts?? I cut maybe 40 or 50 mounts before i turn the blade around...
I only use Arqadia boards, cutting mounts in batches, I often do a quick test when changing colours especially the textured surfaces like Glacier.
I can set my Fletcher up perfectly but notice after3 or 4 windows that its starting to undercut by a fraction.
I find that if it overcuts a fraction, a sharp blade can be used to push it down and disappear it.
When i started, i assumed that all of these hand machines would be perfect, but they all need constant checking and adjusting
(And as for the Fletcher panel cutter, it took me a while to realise that the measuring scale had an extra mm added into the scale between 50mm and 60mm :shock: They eventually sent me a replacement scale, which i will get around to fitting one day, probably at the same time I get around to moving the machine 1ft to the left, as the instructions neglected to mention it needed to be mounted 2 ft away from a right hand wall :head: )
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Justintime wrote:When i started, i assumed that all of these hand machines would be perfect, but they all need constant checking and adjusting
Yes, I totally agree with that.
Justintime wrote: I cut maybe 40 or 50 mounts before i turn the blade around...
...I can set my Fletcher up perfectly but notice after3 or 4 windows that its starting to undercut by a fraction.
I wouldn't mind betting the under cut is because the blade is getting blunt? I cut about 4 mounts per blade side so no more than 10 mounts per blade for me.

How many mounts per blade do other folk cut?
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

I use tech S12 and they seem only good for a couple of average size mounts they will carry on to cut more but you notice a major difference if you put a new blade in.
So normally a new blade for me every couple of meter distance cuts
I think I would prefer very slight over cuts than not cutting out completely.
I have become quite obsessive about no over cuts and breaking out perfectly as well.
I also lift the clamp bar as I let the blade up when I get to end of cut this prevents the blade marking you can sometimes get.

Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

David McComack wrote
"Daler and Arqadia are the only boards I use and often find the Daler cuts more easily as if it were less dense. I use a Ultimat Gold."

Funny, that's the exact opposite to the reason I use Daler, I have found the core is denser, which is what we need for all our elaborate shaped mounts such as elephants , birds etc, okay we use a cmc , but it's the same board

As to how many mounts you are cutting, it does seem a high usage (David) I used to cut may be 20 mounts when using a hand cutter, if using Arqadia or Colourmount
Most blades cut better one way than the other, before putting in a new blade, just run it lightly (in your hand) along a bit of scrap mount then turn the blade around and try again, there will be a difference, due to how the blades are made, they are in a long band, then the are ground sharp by the band passing through two grinding wheels on either side of the band, so if traveling right to left when being ground , when the blades are cut to length the right hand edge is sharper and will cut more easier , honest!
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I have a Keencut Ultimat Gold.
I've used Daler, Bainbridge, Arqadia, and Munken and my preference is Arqadia.
I think they have a good range and they cut well.
I calibrate my machine each time I change the blade and then I have to do it every so often ever so slightly.
I change my blade probably around 50 or so cuts, but I change my slip mat every blade pass (well 1 slip mat for each mount, but I move it four times so it's a new cut on it each time.)
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

What blades do you prefer?

pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Ed209 wrote:What blades do you prefer?
Is there a choice?

I use Keencut tech d 012 blades that I inherited 7 years ago and still haven't used up as my retiring framer believed in bulk buying.

(Just finished his glass cleaner a month or two ago and had to buy my first one!)
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

I use the Keencut Tech S .012 Single-sided Rectangular Mount Cutter blade. For Bevel cutting white core & conservation mat board up to 3mm as recomended by Keencut technical but they are only one sided and non reversible they cut lovely but seem to blunt quite quickly and found them only good for a couple of mounts
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I cut 60 mounts the other day, only 150x150's, think I better change the blade in the morning! :giggle:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

I use tech s 12 blades and change blades every 8 mounts or so. For boards I prefer Arqadia board for the way it cuts and it also feels more rigid.
prospero

Post by prospero »

i don't use a Keencut, but I find that you can cut many mounts with one blade in one session. But come back the next day
and the same blade will be blunt. Same with razors for shaving. :lol:

I always think blades are cheaper than mountboards. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

You are quite right about the blades seemingly going blunt the next day or so I am pleased that you have also noticed that and it’s not just me [emoji3]