Dismantling and re-assembling System 4000

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Dismantling and re-assembling System 4000

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't want to do this, but it is becoming clear that to move my System 4000 into my back room I will need to dismantle it.

Has anyone else ever had to do this?

I suspect that there are some bits best not dismatled, can anyone advise?

Also is it possible for one person to dismantle and re-assemble it?

I don't think this is going to be a fun thing to do!
Thanks in anticipation.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'System 4000'?

A chain saw will make quick work of enlarging the doorway so you could fit it through! ;o)) ;o))
neiljustframes

hintsandtips

Post by neiljustframes »

not your average framer, dismantling the system4000 is quite easy, if you have your keencut manual just follow the installation section and reverse, if not ask the kind people at keencut for a copy or advise.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

osgood wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'System 4000'?
Hi Ormond,

It's a Keencut wall mounted glass and board cutter.
osgood

Post by osgood »

OIC, well my chain saw suggestion still stands.......make the doorway bigger!

I bought a new electric chainsaw just recently. Only cost $69, but I haven't used it yet!

PS. I do my best gardening with a bottle of 'Round Up' and a chainsaw!
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Hi
yes we've moved ours through (so far) four shops.

Mostly single handed take apart and put back together.

How you do it (the easy way) is like this:

First remove the boards.

Now ruin a good vacuum over it, because when you start taking it apart all manner of miniscule glass fragments etc will fall out :-/

Lower it as far as it will go (leg adjustments) - no point in making it difficult ;)

remove the lower (main) rail first. It weighs, at a guess, 25 or 30 kg (?) no more than a half bag of coal, so you weill be fine. best to lower it as far down as it will go, so that its only a couple of inches from the floor.
unbolt the small bolts left and right, then the two large central ones, supporting the weight and the whole thing will plop off.

It is a good plan at this stage to remove the weight from the pulley, just to save it clanking about. And lock the board cutting head down to keep the turret head still at the bottom.

Now, with it leaning against the wall, loosen the top bolts holding the legs pull the two legs towards you, leaving the back (upright) against the wall, move em away from the wall till the bottom of the upright is sitting on the floor.

Now you can undo the bolts holding the legs one at a time.

Now you have the whole thing in four metal parts (two legas, upright and base rail) and two boards, ready to move. This is how a new one comes to you in the box :)

Re-assembly, squaring up etc is as per the manual :)

Its far easier with two people, but not that much of a mission single handed.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Did i mistype "ruin a good vacuum all over it"... hmm. I meant run, but on second thoughts..... ;)
Not your average framer

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I didn't get to do it after all, as I appear to have developed a wheat intolerance problem over Christmas and I am not feeling very well right now. It's a problem which runs in my family and I'm just the latest one to get it.

To quote Robert Burns and his "best laid plans of mice and men", right now it ain't gonna happen. Oh well!
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Celiac? I have a neighbour with the same problem. Eats the wrong flavour packet of crisps and is laid up for days......
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Not your average framer

Spit wrote:Celiac?
I'm affraid so. The warning signs have been there for years, doing something about it is another matter, but now I have to. Oh well, I'm at the start of yet another learning curve. Happy new year to all.