Origin heat shrink system

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Pick this up today when buying a Bambi Compressor. Thought it was worth a punt for £30 with two rolls of film.
It works to a extent but could be better firstly the film is very old and probably past its best one shrink wrap and the other some sort of polythene that seals but doesn’t shrink.
I think what I also need is a heat or silicon mat of some type. I first tried it on a sheet of mount board and was ok then a bit of foam board which was better but it did start to melt.
Has anyone ever had or used one of these and what was your opinion of them also some instructions would be handy and some where to source spares if possible
Many thanks Paul
IMG_3440.jpg
IMG_3440.jpg (288.18 KiB) Viewed 5050 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ultima Thule
Organisation: retail framer
Interests: reading ,real ale, music

Re: Origin heat shrink system

Post by Ultima Thule »

Had one of those years ago - worked well for a while -years again - but the element gave problems and it wouldn't seal evenly so eventually it fell in to disuse and was discarded in a move. How the plastic still behaves will be interesting.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

You'll need a heat gun to play over the sealed product to shrink the film, used one years ago, more hassle than it's worth,
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Yes used heat gun to shrink, worked excellent on a small box but not so on a A5 booklet just curled it up.
Was doing a bit of research last night and a USA company still make something that is almost exactly the same machine
I need a Teflon heat pad to prevent sticking and aid heat distribution.
Alternatively give it to the scrap man![emoji3]

BaBaZa
Organisation: http://www.mainlinemouldings.com
Interests: Pubs

Post by BaBaZa »

Garry at Wessex London branch was the manager of Origin, he's probably best to ask about replacement parts: https://www.wessexpictures.com/london.html
Ricky @ Mainline Mouldings Ltd

Twitter #MainlinePolcore
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Thanks for that I know Gary at Wessex did my training there last year.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I had one of those, but I needed more space and sold it. I knew it needed a new element and got a local packaging company to fit a new element and it improved it's performance tremendously. There not much in those to go wrong, the packaging company measured the voltage and from that worked at which gauge of wire element needed fitting and freed up the spring at one end which was sticking. After than it was great.

I got the silicone foam strip for mine from Lion. They're a really solid machine and should last a life time. Mine had a little light rust on the rollers, when I got it and the rust was coming off onto the shrink film, so I cleaned the rust off with a nylon pan shiner and water, then waxed the rollers and after that everything was fine. My machine although exactly the same was supplied by Simons. They are really heavy, don't you think.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Hi Mark
That's Good news I don't suppose you can remember the details of the packaging company and element gauge can you?
Just looked at Lion for the silicone strip will order one of those.
Spoke to wessex today they are going to stop doing the heat shrink rolls of film soon
Thanks Paul
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It's local company down here in Devon. Phone around near you. It's a common service for packaging companies to provide and you won't have any trouble finding a company near you who will take care of this for you. I only ever bought my rolls of shink film from my local package supplier and they dropped it over to me without charging anything for delivery as well.

BTW, £80 with two rolls of film sound like a good deal to me!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Even better it was only £30 you miss-read it [emoji851]