Glass rack

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Glass rack

Post by cebrooker »

Hello all. Happy New Year - I don't know if it is a resolution to be less of a messy pig or just a solution to a current issue but I have a space problem, and a hoarding problem and I feel my solution is to cut backing board in half and cut glass in half too then store them together so the glass is cut down to a more manageable and safer to handle size then sandwiched between bits of backing board. This will then give me half sized pieces which everything will be priced as and then any off cuts over the size of 1/4 of a sheet will be cut to a 1/4 size and stored in a similar way.

My first question is, I know it is going to be a bit more time consuming and slightly more wasteful but is it totally mad to do this? It also means that I can have a session of getting all my backing board and glass cut down to size and not do the glass in a rush.

My second question is does anyone have any suggestions for the design of a rack to store it in? my thought was something like a print browser but any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks again,
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Glass rack

Post by Steve N »

Depends on the sheet size you are getting in, I would say that the minimum full sheet size is 3ft x 4ft, otherwise you are (IMHO) wasting time and materials, some weeks my average frame size is 65x85cm+ so I would have to order in more glass (and backing board) , when (in your case)there would be a load of pieces 61x91.5cm
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/