Workshop inspiration

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
dandydon07
Organisation: AF1
Interests: golf and football

Workshop inspiration

Post by dandydon07 »

Hi all,
Looking for some inspiration. New year is on the horizon and I’m looking to redesign my massively cluttered workshop in the hope to make it a more productive workplace in 2019 :clap:
Can you all post some pics of your own workshop to give me some inspiration before I start my redesign between Xmas and new year.
Thanks and hope you all have a great Christmas
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Workshop inspiration

Post by poliopete »

As I can't upload pics I will attempt to explain my workshop layout and the reasons it's laid out this way.

Because I sold my frame shop and business some time ago I now operate from a double garage. The garage is 15' x 17' approx with a central island workstation in the center 7' square.

I like to work in batches so along the first long wall I have a double bowl s/s sink with h/c water and generous shelving either side and underneath to house all the paraphernalia required to h/f frames. Next is the Morso and underpinner. Double strip lights above and two double elec' sockets on that wall for phone, heater, compressor and "Henry" cleaner. The Henry and compressor live under that corner of the central workstation. There is adequate space to feed full lengths of moulding into the Morso.

Going to have a cuppa now so if you are not bored witless - the second installment to follow :lol:
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

That wall being the longest is where examples of framing and mounting are displayed and everything on display, is for sale.

With a batch of frames cut and joined, glass can be selected and cut from a purpose built rack situated on the second wall. All glass cutting kit is kept at that end of the workstation. Then there is a window where I site a large easel to display customers pictures to be collected. This seems to go down well. Next stands a 9 draw plan chest for mountboard storage and my manual mount cutter sits on top.

There is very little along the next long wall because of two up and over doors. My flip-over table saw sits in front of the first up and over door and can be easily dragged outside and the door shut, keeping dust creating jobs outside. Inbetween the garage doors there is a second large chest of drawers for all the tape, ironmongery and cleaning stuff required for finishing off the frames. Pencils utility knifes and tape measures are kept at both ends of the workstation.,

Behind me, on the forth wall and in easy reach, is backing board. This area also serves as a "design" area. :giggle:
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

Because I have a conservatory with a vaulted ceiling full lengths of moulding can be stored vertically saving space in the workshop.

This layout suits me as it keeps lifting and walking to a minimum.

After reading this op I did try and obtain (on another forum) a handout with information from a well-known framer and educator who is presenting at the Art & Framing EXPO on this very subject. My intention was to copy and pass on the info' contained in the handout to anyone interested. Unfortunately, my request for a freebie handout was not well received:? Sorry, but I did try.

On that note can I take this opportunity to add my sincere thanks to all those members on this forum who constantly and patiently offer help and advice so generously. Will all those ladies and gentlemen please take a bow :clap: :clap:
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

A frame shop in UAE.jpg
A frame shop in UAE.jpg (231.73 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Dandy Don,

Feeling a bit flippant :giggle:
Go and visit this framer - he gives lessons in workshop design :clap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
tebbles
Organisation: the frame shop
Interests: music, framing

Post by tebbles »

Here is my cutting area and mountboard storage. These are two years old now, have added more since. To the right of the mountboard storage is glass sections, for different types.

mountboards.jpg
mountboards.jpg (328.62 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
cutting.jpg
cutting.jpg (353.31 KiB) Viewed 2453 times