Table-top Morso?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Table-top Morso?

Post by cleaver »

Hi All,

I've seen a table top Morso (BA) pretty cheap.

Could anyone walk me through the pros and cons v a Morso F please?

Do they take the same blades....can the table top Morso take 'nibbles' like the F can, or is it a one-hit cut?

ta :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Table-top Morso?

Post by Not your average framer »

The table top Morso is called a Morso BA, it is not rated to cut the same moulding height, or width as the Morso F, I understand that the blades are different and you need to use one hand to pull down the operating handle, so only one hand left to hold the moulding in place while cutting.

Yes, they can be bought secondhand surprisingly cheaply, but the price may be reflecting the fact that they are not that popular and therefore not as easy to sell. My advise is to buy the Morso F, which is not the market leader for nothing. It a great machine!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Thanks Mark - precisely the steer I wanted.

Yes, after posting, I noticed the blades are different. That, along with the other points you flagged, leads me to a proper Morso!

I know what you mean about having a free hand; I use a Nobex ATM for the few frames I'm doing. While the cuts are amazingly good, keeping the moulding still while cutting is an issue.

My space isn't huge, so the small Morso (maybe they could have called it the 'Less-So'!) was under consideration for that reason, mainly.

All the best :)
prospero

Post by prospero »

The baby Morsos are aimed more at cabinet makers to cut small sections of trim very accurately. So if you only use
mouldings <1" it might be fine up to a point. Bigger stuff would be hard work.

Consider that you would still need virtually the same space as a full-size one.

The Morso is probably the most position-critical machine in the workshop so the best way is to site your Morso and build everything else around it.
The machine itself is not all that big. It's when you use it that you need space either side. 10'+ to the left and 7'+ to the right.
There are a few sneaky tricks.... Placing the infeed bed so it faces a door/window that can be opened is one. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Thanks, Mr P.

I think I should be OK for length in the workshop....but I always like a sneaky trick up my sleeve! :twisted: