Replacing broken glass

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Replacing broken glass

Post by Rainbow »

I've been asked if I could replace some broken glass in an aluminium frame, approx 30 x 40cm. Having taken it apart, I can see that the lip on which the glass would rest is only about 2mm. The previous glass was sealed in place with strips of resin.

I usually leave a bit of "give" between the glass and the frame, but with this job, I think the glass would have to fit pretty tight up to the frame so that it didn't slip out. Am I being unnecessarily concerned about fitting the glass so tight?
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Replacing broken glass

Post by JFeig »

The job is abnormally labor intensive. A rabbit of 2mm just not enough. It is time to get a chisel and hammer to remove the resin and make a properly wide rabbit. then there is the possibility of having glass crack later due to not having 100% of the resin removed.

Or

You have to sell them a new frame as the labor to remove the resin will be more than a new frame.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks JFeig, although I wonder if I've used the wrong description in calling it resin as it's come off very easily and it was soft and pliable. The glass was sort-of pushed into it. Sorry about that.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

That sounds like a tight fit (2mm)

If I remember correctly, you have your glass cut a local glass merchants. I may be a good idea to take the frame to them for measuring.

FWIW I have always replaced broken glass, mounts and repaired frames in fact most anything that comes along but as Jerome and others have said "make sure you charge appropriately"

Peter.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks, Pete. I'm happy to cut glass up to 24 x 20" so this one wouldn't be a problem. I get larger pieces cut locally though.