Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Recycling Mountboard

Post by Ed209 »

I'm sure this has been discussed before but things change so bringing it up again, can you have mount board collected for recycling or other suggested methods for getting rid of it ethically and economically.

I had the Idea of breaking it down in a dustbin of water for paper mache or logs but as you are probably aware it does not breakdown very effectively.

Also available are some heavy duty shredders for cardboard made enquires but nobody is really sure if they would shred mount board effectively as they are designed for corrugated cardboard they also start at about 1K for anything half descent.

I sell my scrap glass for a £1 a box and put it in the charity box to local crafters I figure this covers me for waste transfer as I'm selling rather than handing it over without a waste transfer receipt (they are really hot on trade waste in my area)
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Recycling Mountboard

Post by Justintime »

I have some printmakers nearby who love lengths of board especially if it has a bevel on it
I used to put it in our domestic orange recycling bags, but it can weigh a lot.
All winter I use it to light the fires, when there's a glut in the summer I compost it with the grass cuttings.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We have a few people who like some of our offcuts. The rest of it goes into our dry mixed recycling bin and is collected weekly along with all the other cardboard from deliveries etc. The charge for that bin is far lower than for our general waste bin and they will take as much as we can fit in.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Gumtree's freebies section is great for getting rid of stuff.

I got rid of about 1,000 concrete old roof tiles...couldn't believe anyone would want them. I did stack them neatly, and got creative with the wording of my listing ('would make great garden path edging' etc :roll: )

So maybe list the things people might want it for....hobby framers, artists, crafters etc.

Shame I'm not nearer to you, Paul, I'd take a car boot full off you as I've got begger-all to practice with.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The Fruit and Veg shop just along the street from me have had a lot for price labels. Apples 1/6d a Pound and such. :lol:
It would eventually get binned, but at least it has been used twice. Occasionally local occupational therapy groups will take
a few sackfuls. I have put it on the compost heap in the past and I have to say it lives up to it's conservation quality. After about
three years it had hardly changed. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Anything left at the edge of my drive soon disappears, and as I live en route to a primary school I'm tempted to put a box of offcuts on the drive, if it were not for the fact that I might get some comeback if a child cuts themself on it :(
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

we give ours away to schools and such , like printmakers and artists, tried doing it on FB, but got a lot of time wasters
the rset goes in to the recycling bin
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

That's a great thing to do (and nice little bit of PR)...giving it to schools etc.

Prospero, I trust some of that part-composted mount board will appear in one of your brilliant creations :clap:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I can't even give it away. People say they want it, but when you found them some of it, they soon decide to go away and think about it and they decide not to take it after all. People who do car boot sales have shown some interest, but the punters at the car boot sales are mostly looking for stuff to sell on ebay and I guess mountboard is not that interesting.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Yes I had someone that said he would take all that I produced but after two batches he decided he didn’t want any more.
I have given to play groups in the past but do worry about possible come back particularly with the sharp bevelled edges. As for composing forget it I put some in a dustbin of water for a year and it stayed remarkably intact. Going to contact a waste firm and enquire about recycling rates as you dont pay landfill tax on that, which is nearly half the price of disposing of trade waste.
As mentioned the stuff really lives up to its conservation qualities even the non conservation stuff, If they ever drop the bomb I know what I will have up against the wall to shelter under and it won’t be a door. [emoji3](how do you un screw door hinges within a 3 minute warning?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prospero

Post by prospero »

cleaver wrote:
Prospero, I trust some of that part-composted mount board will appear in one of your brilliant creations :clap:
:lol: I once had a very nice gilded frame that had got the dreaded worm. A real pity. I chucked it out in the backyard and
eventually it ended up in the hedge-bottom. A couple of years later I happened to find it while tidying up and all the gesso
had come off leaving a somewhat weather-beaten carcass. It was then I noticed what a nice profile it was and also that the
wormholes were only in two sides. So I took it in and let it dry a bit. Scraped off the muck and moss, etc and made a 10 x 8"
frame which with a new finish on finished up adorning a nice little oil painting. :D Looked great.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

There seems to be a fair amount of mountboard off cuts for sale on eBay.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

You always crack me up, Mr P :lol:

When I learn how to upload pics here, I must post one of a big old gilt frame I bought off Gumtree recently. Can't decide if it's a great bargain or 70s hell :roll: Weighs a ton and the moulding(s) must be 10 inches wide.

I bought it to educate myself - and also to get the take from good people such as yourself.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I get an 1100 litre (ie very large wheely bin) collected fortnightly for £5 plus vat per lift
odocat
Organisation: Tobi Frames
Interests: Picture framing

Post by odocat »

We have a man who comes when asked and collects all our paper and card. He makes money out of it at the recycle centre and I save money on my bins
Kevindaniel
Organisation: Sligo picture framing
Interests: Football. Table tennis.draughts.

Post by Kevindaniel »

Used to give them to the Art Teacher at a local school. She would often call me especially at Christmas and Easter.
When she retired her replacement said she did not want them. Now they go into the recycle bin. Sad really
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Local school takes it for art here too.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

My wheeled waste bin is 660 litres and the bin company come and collect it whenever I phone them, which nowadays is not that often and they charge me about £17, or £18 including Vat. The company say that they are sending zero percent to landfill, I think that's intended to sound environmentally friendly, but I suspect they are probably burning much of it instead. As you can imagine, with a bin that size, I've got plenty of room for everything I need to get rid of.

I'm really lacking in space in my shop, so I don't have anywhere to store much when it comes to off cuts, so a big bin is very helpful.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

I went to the local tip yesterday and was going to put my mountboard offcuts in the recycling skip. The attendant said they had to go in the non-recyclables. They've always let me put it in recyclables before. Which skip do other people put their mountboard in?
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Rainbow wrote:I went to the local tip yesterday and was going to put my mountboard offcuts in the recycling skip.
I our town disposing of business waste in the recycling centre would attract a fine of up to £5000!
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk