Flag

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Flag

Post by Ed209 »

Customer would like this framed but would like it reduced in size ie folded in such a way that it looks likes it’s billowing has anyone done this or other suggestions to reduce its overall size (excluding letting my wife wash it)Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prospero

Re: Flag

Post by prospero »

The customer appears to be in The Realms of Fantasy. I don't see how billowing would work...

It's the size it is and that's it.

You could fly it from a pole on a windy day, photograph it and frame the photo. :roll:

There is a definite protocol when it comes to folding flags and they end up very small and neat, but not particularly decorative.
I've never done one so I'll will let others chime in. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Davie000
Organisation: forthart framing
Interests: Taking care of business

Post by Davie000 »

Just off the cuff, and agree the realms of fantasy customers live in, but a board big enough to the size and expanding foam sprayed to give the shape, then lay the flag on and spray starch, within the usual shadow box, as i said off the cuff but its a start, good luck with that, these jobs can often be more hassle than they are worth both in time and effort, sometimes you just have to say no! or they will have to pay a premium.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The impossible is the province of magicians and as your already probably has guessed, that's not you, or me. Generally, our task is to make the best presented result of what is going to provide an adequate level of preservation of the customers iitem. Older flags may have suffer a bit from exposure to the elements, so be a little gentle with them and also be sure that they are in an adequate condition to be safely framed. If not you need to get it looked at by an expert.

I have not framed that many flags, but if you are framing for long enough, they can come along. Washing, or ironing is something I would avoid doing myself, but if you sew it onto a rigid support with a layer of polyester batting behind the flag, a very light degree of tension will allow the polyester batting to help it look flat and smooth. Old things like this, should not be subjected to any significant stress and if the condition warrants it then sewing the flag onto a strong support material, so that the support material takes the strain and not the flag, is the sensible way to go.

With anything, which can be damaged. Check out the knowledge and expertise required and don't take chances, if it is outside of what you can competently handle. Always carry out a risk assessment first, so that you can indentify and mitigate anything that can go wrong before it can. Afterwards can mean that there's no way back, so know what you are getting into.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We had a request about 8 years back to frame a White Ensign that had been flown on a Dunkirk Little Boat. The Ensign had belonged to the customer's father and had a long history of eventful travel with him during WW2. In the years after the war the customer remembered it framed up outside his father's company board room and it being, in his words "flat and lifeless". So his request was to give it a bit of life as if it was fluttering in the breeze! The result was as you see below. The flag is covered in soot because it was a coal powered ship and it is very frayed because it was flown so much and often in rough weather. The tag at the bottom was attached to it after the war by his father and lists the names of the crew who took part in the Dunkirk rescue so it had to be left intact.

We used Museum quality boards and the Ensign was sewn to the board using a full sew support method. No other padding or material was added, we kept it simple for this one. This method of overlapping sections has the added benefit of reducing the size slightly which also meets your requirements.

Recently the customer's house was partially damaged by fire and luckily the Ensign was just far enough away from it that only the frame suffered heat and smoke damage. The insurers thought it was ruined because of how sooty it was until it was explained it was meant to look like that. We had it returned to us for a clean up and reframe and the inners were still perfectly sound and it only needed a quick clean up of the edges of the mountboard before being put into a new frame.
Attachments
81107DE6-D457-4A05-9443-3F9B31A7BAAE.jpeg
81107DE6-D457-4A05-9443-3F9B31A7BAAE.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 4750 times
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

What a superb example of professional framing and meeting a customer's requirements and expectations :clap: :clap: :clap:

Peter.
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Excellent job, that’s how my customer described he wanted his but it just didn’t look right folding it here and there. I think the distressed nature of yours helps quite a lot with the overall appearance of the finished job. Will show him yours and have another go at trying to billow layout that looks reasonably natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

Here’s another angle. The reflection from the glass does make it a bit awkward to see, but you’ll get the general idea. :D
Attachments
AE1DD892-A896-47C8-BFEB-22ABE93546B7.jpeg
AE1DD892-A896-47C8-BFEB-22ABE93546B7.jpeg (705.37 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I don't think it's your's or your wife's job to wash it, that is the customers job, so much could go wrong and you could end up ruining it ,

Nice job Jo
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Fantastic Work Jo :clap:
What glass did you use?
Regards
Dave
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

Thanks for the lovely comments. It remains one of my favourite pieces of work. It was one of those jobs we didn’t want to hand back, a true bit of history and we were so glad it survived the fire.

The glass was standard 3mm - apart from the size of it there were a variety of reasons for that including where it was being hung and the UV filtering already in place in that part of the house.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Brilliant job! Not hard to see how demanding it was to get that fantastic result and you have every right to be proud of such an outstanding result.

Flags only come my way very infrequently and as you will probably remember, I chicken out of doing one and refered it to yourselves. I'm quite happy doing less demanding flag framing jobs, but some can be a bt scarey.

Reeally impressed with your job. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

One to be very proud of.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I'm a bit late to the party but I must say that is a fantastic piece of work, quite ingenious :D :clap: Brilliant!