Ademco Dry Mount Press

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
In the Frame
Organisation: RL Framing Services
Interests: Gardening, Cooking

Ademco Dry Mount Press

Post by In the Frame »

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can offer advice on an Ademco 1613 dry mount press. It has the cream and brownish paint scheme.

Works fine but I need to change the mains cable as it has worn where it enters the back of the machine. Have opened the main case and it should be an easy job for my qualified Electrician friend.

Before I get him to work on it, does anybody know if the insulation material / matting pieces contains asbestos ? Are we OK to lift this off to allow work on the cable....

Any info much appreciated.

Robert
prospero

Re: Ademco Dry Mount Press

Post by prospero »

I'd risk it. :D

Even if the insulation is asbestos and it is the dangerous type (which I doubt), it's only hazardous if it has started to degrade.

I'm sure there are more clued-up folks an the Forum who will give you more informed advice. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
In the Frame

Post by In the Frame »

Probably perfectly safe but as the machine is probably from the 70's or 80's I was concerned that Asbestos may have been used. Saying that surely we would have heard stories considering the amount of these out there....

Anyway if anyone else can shed some light that would be great.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have an Ademco 2228, or it might be 2226 press of the same era and colour scheme. It had an old style rubber insulated rubber insulated cable, which I replaced with a modern heat resistant cable. I did not encounter any asbestos and the white fibrous material within the mains cable is just plain old cotton, so don't get worried. The mineral insulation within the heating element is a ceramic powder and is sealed in anyway. Just re-wire it and you should be in business.

Don't forget to make sure that the earth connection is a good one. Mine creaks a bit while warming up, it's just the element expanding in it's retaining clips, yours may well do the saame! Again no big deal!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
In the Frame

Post by In the Frame »

I was wondering what the creaking noise was ! Thanks

Yes, it's the actual insulation material ( looks like loft insulation ) that is inside the main casing I was worried about, so it could be just a harmless mineral wool ?

Robert
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I don't know about that, just be careful!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
In the Frame

Post by In the Frame »

I'll do the work outdoors and take precautions but thinking about it again mineral wool is safe way above the temperature range of the press I think, so hopefully that's what was used ?

With the company gone so long ago I doubt anyone can shed a definitive light on it....
Not your average framer

you don't need to do the work outdoors, just use a dust mask and vacuum up the floor after wards and still use the dust mask as you vacuum and as you empty the vacuum into the dustbin outside. Have a thought for the dustmen and bag the vacuum cleaner dust as well.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer