Artisan76
Organisation: The Frame Shed
Interests: Painting and printmaking
Skateboarding and cycling

Unidentified Underpinner

Post by Artisan76 »

20190620_130523.jpg
20190620_130523.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 6570 times
Hi, does anyone recognise this brand and model of underpinner, please?
I bought it a while ago but I am unsure what wedges are compatible with it. Any suggestions?
I did buy it with a box of PILM Divisione Meccanica wedges but they are too big for my current project and I can't source that brand in the UK.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Jonathan
Artisan76

Re: Unidentified Underpinner

Post by Artisan76 »

20190620_130530.jpg
20190620_130530.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 6566 times
Close up
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

Origin were based in Croydon but closed probably 20 years ago. i believe they were bought out by Wessex so they may be able to help you.

Graham
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

That is not Origin's own make of underpinner. I know what the Origin underpinner looks like and that's not it. You've already tried the PLM wedges which are much bigger, so my assumption would be that they are probably "universal" sized wedges. Therefore, I would imagine that you next move would be to buy a packet of universal wedges and check that they work.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

If you contact Wessex at their Leatherhead branch, some of the Origin people are working there. If you email a photo to Garry White, he was one of the trainers at Origin and he'd probably be able to tell you.

https://www.wessexpictures.com/london.html
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Origins own underpinner did not have tripod legs, it had a rectagular frame made out of square section tubing and it had to be screwed to one of the sides of your work bench. I have a 1997 Origin catalogue and it includes their own underpinner and many others' all with pictures and none of them look like the picture shown in this thread. I'm not sure where the mention of Origin comes from in this particular aspect. It's also not one of the Euro range of underpinners either.

I don't know what make of underpinner you have got, but that's not one I've ever come across and I've seen most makes of underpinners.

BTW, Origin sold the PLM air powered underpinner and wedges, but there's no mention of a PLM manual underpinner in their catalogue.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Artisan76

Post by Artisan76 »

Thank you all for your varying, sometimes conflicting, views regarding what make and model my underpinner could be. You've all given me plenty of avenues to explore in order to find my answer.
I will report back with any progress.
Thanks again
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'm baffled too. It has some features that a reminiscent of the manual Euro range, but some things are completely different. :|

** Not 100% certain, but I'm willing to bet the Cassese 'Universal' nails will work in it. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I thought the Origin Framing Supplies sticker was a dead giveaway myself... :giggle:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer

I would think that too, the difficulty is determining what the clue is telling us. I've been doing a bit of digging around and come up with a little bit more and I think the clues could be indicating a Propinner after looking at the upper part of the propinner 10 varient sold by Origin. Origin were suppliers for the Propinner uderpinners. This is not completely certain, but so far it's something that might be right.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Artisan76

Post by Artisan76 »

Hi all. Thanks again for all your help. I tried a universal size wedge in this underpinner but they didn't work. It kept jamming. From further investigation, I have discovered the wedges I have that fit/work are 11mm wide. Does anyone know if there is are companies that make a wedge that wide? Thanks again
Not your average framer

The only wedges that I know of that are 11mm wide are the ones used by the alphamacchine Minigraph. Does that mean that the machine is an early manual Minigraph? I wonder!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Artisan76

Post by Artisan76 »

Mark Lacey : Perhaps it is a manual Minigraph. I honestly have no idea without contacting the guy that moved from Origin to Wessex. If I ever find it's true identity- if it isn't some sort of Frankenstein's Monster - I will definitely post my findings.
However, you have given me great hope by pointing out that alphamachine wedges are 11mm wide. Hopefully they will fit/work. Fingers crossed.
Thanks again
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Thread title sounds like a Syd Barrett song title.
Artisan76

Post by Artisan76 »

:lol:
Artisan76

Post by Artisan76 »

For those that are interested, I have solved the mystery of Frankenstein's Underpinner. It is a PILM, hence why only their v-nails work.
Now to solve the mystery of who sells that specific brand! 🤦‍♂️
Not your average framer

Lion sell them. For some strange reason in 15mm, 12mm, 7mm and 4mm. If you are wanting 10mm which is probably the most size for most jobs, Lion don't appear to list it on their wabsite, which seems a bit odd. Maybe they are letting their stock run down, before phasing them out. There can't be many of these machines around and perhaps the demand is too low to make it worthwhile.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Having searched the internet, I can't find PLM, so perhaps the manufacturer has gone out of business. If this is so, you may need to grab whatever you can while there is stock left. Most contract framers, used to only stock 7mm and 10mm wedges, this maybe because many earlier underpinners only used 7mm and 10mm, but I find that these are still the sizes that I most use.

Maybe you can get enough 12mm and 7mm wedges to keep you going for a while.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Artisan76

Post by Artisan76 »

Thanks, Mark. I will check with Lion.
I have a few 12mm wedges already but nowhere near enough for the foreseeable future.
Thanks again