Attaching / stapling velcro to mountmoard.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Attaching / stapling velcro to mountmoard.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm currently framing a large array of medals for a customer who wants to be able to wear them from time to time. They are to be displayed against suede mountboard.

So I was planning on fixing them in place with velro so they can easily be removed and replaced. The unreliability of velro sticking to mountboard is obvious. So I want to staple it, but I can't find any long reach heavy duty staplers to do the job.

Can anyone point me to the right supplier, or suggest another solution?
Thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

MYAF, what are the back of the medals like. I'd like to get an idea of what can be used for attaching them.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

Hi Mark,
You could try sewing the Velcro to the mountboard using a sail needle or fine bradel to create the holes first. Or you could place wood behind the mountboard and staple it through the mountboard using a normal staple gun. However you would have to watch for corrosion, not to mention the effect of the lignin in the wood on the appearance of the mountboard in the future. You could cut small slots in the mountboard and feed the Velcro through to create a loop which can be tightened at the back. Over a period of time the effect of pulling the velcro on and off may distort the mountboard. I would suggest small hooks, like those on a bra, which may be sewn on the medals or affixed to the medal bar and the corresponding eyes atached to the mountboard.
I am sure other members here will have more creative and practical methods as they have more experience than I in such matters.
Giclee is just a term for a little squirt making lots of money
Remember conservation Framing is an art, for everything else there's Araldite
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

This was covered by Jim Miller on TFG recently - do a search - or I will later.

He also included a great way of making an accessible frame.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Áine and David,

They are court mounted in three rows on long broach bars. Each row is on a separate broach bar. It's a lot of medals!

I am planning on sticking the suede mountboard onto Arqadia 400 series solid core which is a very dense and stiff mountboard and then stapling through the velcro and both layers of mount board.

I have access to a normal strength long reach normal stapler, (it's mine except the wife likes to think otherwise), but I don't think it's upto the job. if I break it - well lets not go there! Velcro is not nice to staple, without a heavy duty stapler. I think I can guess how well the velcro will stay stuck to suede, like NOT very likely!

As it is it's going to be expensive to do, with an engraged brass plate, etc., so I'm trying to keep it simple and control the costs involved. To avoid buying a pack of suede mountboard, I'm going to have to pay through the nose for the one sheet I need, the engraving is also more than I quoted and I'm expecting to be buying a beefy stapler too!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Ah you're in luck - it took seconds

http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread.php?t=28461
Not your average framer

Thanks John,

I've already been there, a really helpful thread too! Incidentally the back of the court mounts is covered with the medal ribbons, which are well stuck in place so I figure that the velcro 1" wide tape should remain secure.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Mark
We do a lot of Medals - with the Naval Air Base on our doorstep.

If Court Mounted I would not put Velcro on the back, unless you know the type of material that the medal wearer has got on. The Velcro could cause the Medals to 'hang' in the wrong position.

Normally Court Mounted medals have a long clasp along the top.

We have successfully used the following when the Medal owner needs to take them out of the box to wear them and replace them for display afterwards.

The other suggestion of hooks (as in bra hook and eyes) - large ones of course, is also worthy of looking at..
John GCF
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Merlin wrote:... large one of course...
The hooks, the eyes, or the undergarments? :shock:

(Sorry! Robo John seems to be having something of a "Svengaliesque" effect on my humour.... :oops: )
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Oh I just love big .........

eyes of course...
John GCF
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Just for you, Merlin! :wink:

........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Not your average framer

Thanks John,

That's triggered a few thoughts at this end and I think has set me on a good course. I'm fortunate in having several boxes of bits and bobs from an old well established framers in Totnes who sold me the entire contents of their workshop, when the owner retired at a very ripe old age. I shall be digging through those boxes tomorrow, looking for further inspiration.
Not your average framer

My thanks to all,

I have adapted John's method and will make the Z section from a length of Rabbetspace cut to be a good fit between the two ends of the broach bar.

The court mounted medals will then hang on the Rabbetspace and as an added security feature I have ordered some very small button magnets which will retain the medals in position by magnetic attraction to the pin on the broach bar.

The button magnets are designed to be fixed with a small countersink screw. I think that should do the job very nicely!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Slick! 8)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Not your average framer

Moglet wrote:Slick! 8)
Thanks Áine,

But it was a team effort. Improving someone elses idea, can't happen if they didn't share the idea with you to start with.

This is the forum where we all work together and we all learn together!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

4-1
4-1
4-1
4-1

4-4

(All for one and one for all!)
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Not your average framer wrote:
You have the right of it! :D

The longer I'm a Forum member, the more I enjoy participating! 8)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Dang! Shoulda previewed! :roll: S-t-i-l-l, y'all know what I mean! :wink:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB