Deep rebate L / Canvas profile

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Deep rebate L / Canvas profile

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi,

Anyone aware of a supplier who offers a deep rebate L profile - ideally 55mm?

Alternatively, any handy tips on how to create this profile from other profiles?

Cheers!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Deep rebate L / Canvas profile

Post by Not your average framer »

I dont usually buy "L" shaped canvas tray profiles at all, but make them up from two standard flat mouldings joined to from the "L" shaped profile. I have a fairly varied stock of mouldings and find this has advantages of both convenience and a little more flexibility of how I fix everything together. I don't much like making these out of Obeche, but like something more durable and less likely to compress when inserting the screws into the back of the stretcher bars on the canvas.

Pine, tulipwood,oak and ash enable me to make something more solid. Also I like to cross nail the mitres close to the front to prevent the joints from openning at a later date. I prefer to do this with my headless pinner, but there are times when the grain of the wood needs pins that are a little bit thicker to prevent the pins changing direction in the wood because of the direction of the woodgrain. Unfortunately, these very thin headless pins, are not always the best fixing into a wood as soft as Obeche as I have my doubts about such small pins being as secure in a softer wood.

I like the flexiblity to use a thicker moulding is the rear moulding section to add a bit more stiffness, on larger frame sizes. I have sometimes encountered canvases, the stretcher bars are not as well sized as they should be and if the stretchers don't result in perfect flatness, something a bit stiffer for the tray frame will help to avoid thing doing their own thing of the years. Apart from that, I don't want cracks appearing at the mitre though my hand finishing.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

As Marks says, it's just two flat pieces of wood. Easy to concoct the right profile if you are going to hand-finish. I don't
know of any ready finished profiles of that dimension.

One way is to find a flat moulding and mitre with the rebate facing backwards/inwards. That creates a neat little 'shelf' in which you can
drop a sheet of thin MDF. That also makes a back. Of course it all depends if you can find one the right size/finish. You may have
to black the underside of the moulding (which is now the inside). The back of the moulding becomes the face. :wink:
Underpinning is a bit of a no-no. Cross-nailing is the best option. A webbing strap or good mitre vice would make it easier.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bertie
Organisation: Bertram Whitford
Interests: Making

Post by Bertie »

I have the means to machine up that sort of thing, but I guess it depends on what quantity you're after, and a timescale. Also, I see you're in SE London as well - I'm based in Woolwich, SE18.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss further.

B.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

On a larger frame a webbing strap beats a mitre vice most days of the week and it pulls all the corners together really tight. You will have to not do it up too tightly at first, so that the corners can be properly aligned before fully tightening. I have some cheap Blackspur webbing stars, they are nothing special, but they are cheap and get the job done.

If you have not already got a webbing strap, they are very helpful things to have, mine are the narrow ones and they are something around about one inch wide. This is helpful when joining deeper mouldings, because it enables you to access either side of the band clamp, if you need to pin the mitre joints. I use pneumatic nail guns to cross nail the corners and I find this simple and effective.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thank you for the replies and great tips!
Not your average framer

It's a really easy thing to add a sheet of MDF inside a canvas tray which is deeper than you reqire, to bring the canvas forward in the tray, if you are not sure about making a canvas tray from two individual mouldings. Do whatever seems most natural to you.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer