PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

hanging type for narrow profiles

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi all,

I was curious to know what folks use as hanging methods when dealing with narrow profiles such as Lions - L2119, or narrower?

I have amassed a collation of various hanging types but keen to know what peoples 'go to's' are?

Thanks as always...

Here are a few I have been trying -
Lion - 5718
Lion - 1093
Lion - 1495 - yet to try
Lion - 6835
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: hanging type for narrow profiles

Post by StevenG »

For joining and hanging reasons I hate small mouldings, I don't have any on my sample board anymore
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

How narrow is narrow? Some narrow mouldings that I get to use now and then are skinny hogarth moldings, which can be very skinny indeed and as these are also intended to look old, I usually use the copper plated screw rings in an appropriate size. This also is very much in keeping with anything that is meant to look old.

If you are wanting to make the screw rings to look a bit old and manky, mix some bitumen paint with some white spirit, dip the screw rings in it and dry the screw rings on a scrap piece of mountboard on an electric ring, after the paint has dried and then add the wash of your choice to look a bit dirty. An old trick from my fixing up stuff to sell in the auctions. (New looking fittings on an old frame, don't look right and put the buyers off).
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Often it's good to remove the frame as a means of support altogether and use a stout backing with d-rings
riveted on. The tails of the rivets need to be isolated if you want a 'proper' job. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

D-Rings riveted in the backboard, simple job done
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

prospero wrote: Thu 28 Nov, 2019 2:00 am Often it's good to remove the frame as a means of support altogether and use a stout backing with d-rings
riveted on. The tails of the rivets need to be isolated if you want a 'proper' job. :wink:
As seconded by Steve.

And there are those little metal fittings that clip over the edge of the backing board with slots to attach the cord. Sorry, forgot what they are called. If you are not aware of them - someone will post a picture.

Peter.
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks Steve, Peter, I hadn't thought of this route. I will look into riveting onto the backboard and the side clips. Thanks for your input/time.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I used to use a lot of the little clippy things. Lion do (did) them. I don't know what they are called either.
They are actually quite neat. Only suitable for MDF/Hardboard. Wouldn't use them on anything big though....
The only snag with them is papering over them. You have to cut around the little loop.

** "Hang-Its" apparently. :D
Hang_It_Hangers.jpg.jpg
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About