Hi!

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
James
Organisation: Jamesmurch.com
Interests: Oil painter.

Hi!

Post by James »

Hi everyone.

My name is James and I am an artist from South Devon trying to save money by doing my own framing. I have a solo exhibition coming up in May and have decided to push the boat out with frames and pay for some assistance. Anyone near Torbay that does hand finished frames with gilding.? I will post in the help section.

Cheers,

James.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Hi!

Post by Not your average framer »

hi James,

Welcome to the forum. Are you working from home, or do you have a work shop? A certain amount of space will be useful, if you wish to do a bit of framing. Don't be in too much of a hurry to be buying much equipment, orstock, until you can work out what is going to fit your requirements. Opperating from home in often not a limitation. I started off at home and moved to a retail shop, when the timing and opportunity was right.

Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hello James and welcome come to the FF :D

I see your an artist trying to save money on the framing. I've heard that a few times so nothing new there :giggle: No offence :D

Peter.
James

Post by James »

Not your average framer wrote: Tue 28 Jan, 2020 9:32 pm hi James,

Welcome to the forum. Are you working from home, or do you have a work shop? A certain amount of space will be useful, if you wish to do a bit of framing. Don't be in too much of a hurry to be buying much equipment, orstock, until you can work out what is going to fit your requirements. Opperating from home in often not a limitation. I started off at home and moved to a retail shop, when the timing and opportunity was right.

Mark
Hi Mark. Yes I believe your Dartmoor? not far from me. In fact I've sent you a PM about finishing some frames for me. Look forward to your response.
James

Post by James »

poliopete wrote: Wed 29 Jan, 2020 8:06 am Hello James and welcome come to the FF :D

I see your an artist trying to save money on the framing. I've heard that a few times so nothing new there :giggle: No offence :D

Peter.
I've been learning the hard way for a couple of years. Got to a level that is passable, just struggling to get a nice hand finished look at the moment so looking to employ help for upcoming exhibition.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome James. :D

Can you give us some idea of the style of frame/finish you would like to achieve?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi james,

Since we are located in the same general area, If there is any equipment you are thinking about buying that I already have, I will be happy for you to pop round and have a good look before going and buying the same thing for your self.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Hi James

Like Mark, we're also based in South Devon and you're welcome to get in touch if we can be of any help.

Jo
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
James

Post by James »

prospero wrote: Wed 29 Jan, 2020 10:35 am Hi and Welcome James. :D

Can you give us some idea of the style of frame/finish you would like to achieve?
Hi. Yes will try and post a link that works later.
Thanks
James

Post by James »

Tudor Rose wrote: Wed 29 Jan, 2020 1:24 pm Hi James

Like Mark, we're also based in South Devon and you're welcome to get in touch if we can be of any help.

Jo
Hi Jo

Many thanks for your help the other day. I've settled on a coat of chalk paint with a wax finish for now but I would like to offer something more grand for buyers in future, so when I get some time I will bring something over for you to do and maybe take one to Calmar to give people a choice of finishes.

Many thanks.

James.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Sounds like a good plan 👍. Was great to chat, glad we could be of help.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022