Button it!

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

Button it!

Post by Roboframer »

Mrs R is all excited about her new button (etc) cabinet - can you see the eyes?

Don't worry about the empty holes - they're spoken for.

See how I have to fight for space - Ha - a beam - I can use that! (Niagara Falls triptych) That'll have to go now!

I'll have pictures on the ceiling soon!

Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Re: Button it!

Post by Moglet »

Roboframer wrote:I'll have pictures on the ceiling soon!
Don't see why not. It's good enough for The Lamb in Devizes! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

ImageImageImage
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

i'm slowly reclaiming my wall and floor space from the dreaded cardmaking materials, jewellery and other junk.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yes - and this stuff and more, which flies out the dooor - is taking the space of slow moving prints and 'art' in general.

We're down from 14 print browsers to 8 and as long as I keep clicking my heels over increasing stocks of ready made frames, which I insist on making in-house - Mrs R will fill the space with her stuff, can't blame her!

Maybe I should swallow some pride and buy some RMFs in - Nielsen will even give me a dead posh cabinet (or two). It's a shame they are not at the Spring Fair - I'm up for a good deal for stuff I can see in the flesh!

Catch 22 situation - too busy making frames to order to get in the shop front and re-arrange. A 'happy'problem? Hardly ever even change my window/walls around these days - used to do them both religiously once a week.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

John, looks you've got a very successful craft business there, (thanks to Mrs R)

unfortunately my mother made a few bad decisions, which have proved problematic to get away from, most recently it was taking on a small range of craft making materials into an already cramped shop.

if i remember correctly your shop title has Stitch and Craft in it? this'll be helping your cause, our shop title did not imply we sold craft materials or anything of the sort.

in the past, before i got my way, we have sold small ranges of, candles, jewellery, ornaments, pictures, statues. you name it we have probably sold it, but we never managed to get into any of these in a massive way.. we just ended up becoming a bric a brac shop.

hopefully now, i've got us heading in the correct direction, concentrating on framing and stocking only a minimal stock of artsupplies and craft kits (for Christmas time) and mostly high quality, well presented pictures and prints of scotland and Edinburgh

we used to get called by customers as "the art shop" at one stage, this it seems has finally been lost, we are now the "Picture Framers" something which i am happy about, and we may even completely get rid of art supplies within the next year, as sales have slumped over the past 10 years year on year.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Suddenly this is in the wrong forum!

Sorry - just that buttons and stuff seemed to fit under 'none of the above' - but what the hec, eh!

Grahame Case wrote:(thanks to Mrs R)
Er - no!

Framing carried the craft side for a long time - it never would have made it on its own - we bought a struggling needlecraft shop - make that a failed one - because we knew from the amount of needlecraft we got to frame that it could be a good sideline.

But then there would have been no framing side without Mrs R! I had the initial idea - she made it happen!

So, Er - yes!

Now 'The Other Side' is 50/50 turnover-wise with framing and art - OK that's two departments versus about - I don't know, twenty easy.

IOW neither my two or 'her' twenty would pay the bills in this place.

Diversification is great because of the diverse range of customers it brings - but if it's crafts, you need to go the whole 9 yards - people don't just want to buy, they want to know how to do it, and they've come to you after a demo on QVC!
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Roboframer wrote:
you need to the whole 9 yards
there you are,

you've nailed the exact reason that mothers ventures into diversification didn't work. We don't have the space to go into anything in a massive way.

all credit to the two of you though, you've managed to make a profitable business for yourselves!

just a quick unrelated question John, do you have any problems with security? - shoplifting etc? we had a horrendous problem when we were stocked to the gills with items, in cramped aisles. Of course, i presume there is less likelihood of that happening in a village,
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We are in a very low crime area - around here it's the shops that stock the stuff that kids (the untouchables) want that are most worried.

Cigarettes, booze, sweets!

We hade one break-in - they took all the silver from our charity boxes and the till (we leave 20p coins down in there) and caused about 600 x more damage than they stole!

Plus one more serious robbery - from a glass cabinet that we fixed up minus the door - a hinge was missing - so we turned it around and covered the gap with some thread spinners - it was spotted and £1200's worth of laser crystal lifted from under our nose!

In ten years here that's been pretty much it - touch wood!
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

in the early days we had a very expensive miniature oil painting go "Walkies" plus various other items.

We live very close to a very rough area of Edinburgh, as a result we used to get hordes of kids in every afternoon, definitely up to no good, they'd rush around, and be out in a flash. This was all before we changed the layout.

Now the only kids we get in are here with their parents, we've made the shop far too open and well lit to make it possible for anyone to think about stealing things.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We have a policy (not posted about the place- just a S.O.P.) - all children must be accompanied by an adult - if they come without one - we'll provide one!

Sometimes until they walk out the door, others for the few seconds it takes to realise they are actually really just nice/normal kids - and that's 80% I'm happy to say.

Also most of the stuff that fits in pockets is at the counter end of the shop - this cabinet is an exception.