Pinning machine

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
MHodson
Organisation: Halo Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Pinning machine

Post by MHodson »

Hi, newby here.
My morso mitre cutter is cutting great and I get a perfect join but when I go to pin the moulding I'm getting a gap. Any ideas please on how to stop this, does anyone glue first before pinning.
Many thanks
Michelle Hodson
Halo Picture Framing
242 Elliott Street
Tyldesley
Manchester
M29 8DS
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Pinning machine

Post by StevenG »

Hi Michelle

Do you have an image or can you describe where the gap happens i.e. at the front? back? What underpinner do you have?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Well you have to glue before you pin, otherwise you will not be able to glue if the frame is joined :Slap:
The pins are acting as internal clamps until the glue has dried
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If the gap is openning on the outer edge, you may be pinning a bit too close to the outer edge and the wood is moving out wards to accomodate the width of the underpinning wedge. Exactly where to place the wedges, involves a bit of experience and judgement. Also some brand of wedges can be a little better than others. I have a cassesse underpinner, but I like to refill the plastic wedge cartridges with alphamacchine universal wedges, which pull together much tighter.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
MHodson
Organisation: Halo Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by MHodson »

Steve N wrote: Wed 21 Oct, 2020 12:42 pm Well you have to glue before you pin, otherwise you will not be able to glue if the frame is joined :Slap:
The pins are acting as internal clamps until the glue has dried

Many thanks for your reply, can I ask what glue you use please?
Michelle Hodson
Halo Picture Framing
242 Elliott Street
Tyldesley
Manchester
M29 8DS
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Any White PVA wood glue, EVO-STIK is my preferred weapon of choice
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I just use a generic variety of PVA from my local hardware shop,original I had a choice between universal PVA glue, or woodworking PVA glue which is not only stronger, but also thicker. Unfortunately, since the coming of Covid-19 the local hardware shop is only stocking the universal version of PVA glue, so that is what I am now using and even that seems to be quite adequate.

I suspect that at the end of the day, PVA glue is still just PVA glue. However leading brand names are likely to be better, than the basics and brands such as Evostick and other big name brands, needs to be better to justify a higher price, than the cheaper brands, so I tend to think that you get what you pay for and than you are likely to be getting more for you monet by paying the extra for big name brands. So yes, I am agreeing with steve.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer