Rebadged Orteguil (ORC55) Bench top guillotine problems / questions

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jimlad
Organisation: Cheatle Design
Interests: Artist

Rebadged Orteguil (ORC55) Bench top guillotine problems / questions

Post by jimlad »

Hello all,

I'm new to using these machines and I've only just purchased one second hand via ebay. I've had the blades sharpened at Saw and Tooling and the alignment on it seems accurate throughout. I understand that to use them you cut a sliver off an already cut mitre.

It will cut MDF and HDF fine, beech is ok and some soft woods are ok but not all. On some of the softwoods it will crush and tear the wood really badly and I wonder whether this is to be expected with these machines or whether there is a setup issue. It seems to be worse on the left side but I haven't tested extensively. So besides blades not being sharp what other factors might cause this sort of behaviour? Image attached for reference.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Woodcrush.jpg
mitre.jpg
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Rebadged Orteguil (ORC55) Bench top guillotine problems / questions

Post by Steve N »

Hi Jim
Welcome to the forum, the blades need to be hollow ground, I would only get mine sharpen by an experienced company who have the right kit for sharpening this type of blade, if not hollowed ground, the outcome on some soft wood is the same as in the photo.

If it's not the blade, then it looks like it's a wood problem, if it cuts okay on dense material (MDF) and hard wood, the Obeche you have pictured, looks likey to be the culprit, does it feel really light in weight, you get some Obeche that just is not dense enough for cutting across the grain, it's what one of our 'esteemed' members calls 'Snotwood' it's 'Carp' just chuck it in the bin, remember Obeche is in the same family as Basla wood, which is very light as well, I wood say from the photo it looks like it nearer to Basla wood than Obeche.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
jimlad
Organisation: Cheatle Design
Interests: Artist

Re: Rebadged Orteguil (ORC55) Bench top guillotine problems / questions

Post by jimlad »

Thanks Steve, that's exactly the confirmation I was looking for as it's what I suspected. The wood was from a found reclaimed piece of furniture that I ran through the planer/thicknesser. Not sure of the species - looks like it could be obeche, although I'm not familiar with it. It was stained brown on all faces previously. The sharpening was done by a very experienced company called Saw and Tooling based in Edinburgh that Lion recommended. It's interesting to note that not all woods behave in the same way when guillotined. There's grain direction also of course. Scoring the face side first helps before chopping but I've cut this on the electric mitre saw for now.

Cheers,

Jim