PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
cmaclean
Organisation: Borderline Framing
Interests: Grand-children, Gardening, Walking, Technology

Job sheets and record keeping

Post by cmaclean »

Hi
I'm interested in What other like-minded framers use to keep track of all the other info that isn't captured in estlite to do with making out a job sheet designing the layout etc.
Does anyone have a template they can post to give me an idea?
Also I'm into lines on window mats. There is always one line which isn't straight. Is there a template available which allows accurate positioning of lines.

Cheers for now
Campbell :P
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Campbell
I use my own pricing prog that prints A5 worksheets. Any unusual designs are usually pencilled on the back and kept in a worksheet folder.

WRT Lines on window mats. LIONS
www.lionpic.co.uk
have a tool 'Longridge' corner marking gauge item #1425
basically a plastic corner that locks into the window cut out and with graduated holes in to allow you to put a pencil mark onto the mat.

You then place your ruler onto the mat and joint up these two 'dots' before you use the ruling pen or whatever.

When I do a mount line, I place a 'post-it note' on the outside of the start dot and the outside of the end dot. then start the pen on the note, run along the line and stop on the note.
This gives a very good sharp start and stop to the line without any stuttering of the ink.
John GCF
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

If you use dots or pinpricks to mark the corners, always aim for the dots when drawing a line, rather than the ends of any previously drawn lines. It may seem obvious but there is a temptation to join to the end of a line, rather than the mark, when the previous line has over/under-shot its target.

In those cases where a diagram is necessary, such as the layout of a multi-aperture mount, I draw it freehand on the workshop copy of the docket.

I think it would be impossible to contrive a pre-printed form that would cover all eventualities, though I would be more than happy to be proved wrong.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Record Sheets

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Campbell,

I do not use John's prcing programme, I use another one, for which prints me off a worksheet with all the detials I have put into the priceing quote, i.e. mount colours and border widths, moulding codes, (not just the pricing code on the moulding). It also leaves me about a 1/3 of the page blank, where I can add anything else by hand if required. It also has a spce for the customers signature.

BUT, after a huge computer failure a few years ago,we have also decided to make our own worksheet (a hard copy) and although it takes approx. 2 minutes to fill out, we think its all worth while. (Its a work in progress so changes all the time with differing types of jobs, etc. but I can email it to you if you wish, just email me and let me know) This then get placed along with the clients work, and the worksheets placed i a folder until ready for use.

It also makes sence to have somewhere to either write down, or type into your pricing programme any faults or little marks on the customers work at the source of the quote, this keeps the framer legally covered and above board and could stop any hassle when the job is collected, if the customer starts to compain about marks, tears, etc. Once the customer has left your premises, and then a mark or fault is found, you may have difficulty provong it was there in the first place. (This is not from personal experience, thankfully, but from another framer who was badly caught)

Extra record keeping may seem like a bore, but proper records, worksheets, enables the framer to not only be more professional, but more productive.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre