Gunnar CMC Blades

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Ian Goodman
Organisation: Ian Goodman Photography
Interests: Chinese Cooking.
Playing with my Grandchildren
Photoshop Training with Maitland U3A

Gunnar CMC Blades

Post by Ian Goodman »

How many of us Gunnar CMC users use genuine blades?

I do and 12 or so months ago there was a short supply of these little sharp blades.

Why I ask this is because a company rep came and saw me about 18months ago and had just returned from a trip to the USA where he found some larger framing companies using 601 machines around the clock. And they wer not using Gunnar original blades but an "after market" type blade.

Do any other Gunnar users watching this use genuine blades all the time?

If not then can you supply the details of what you use?
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

One of the reasons that Gunnar blades might have been in short supply for a time might have something to do the changes they made to the profile of the blades,
Gunnar blades 20011 and 20012 have been discontinued and the new Gunnar blades 001012 and 001013 have replaces the older blades.

I use the genuine Gunnar blades, they cut really well and stay sharp along time, so I cant see any reason to change to a blade from another manufacturer.
The Americans must be running a tight ship if the cost of a blade would make a major difference to their profits, even with a factory thats cutting mounts 24 hours a day.

I will stick to the Gunnar blades, I dont mind paying an extra cent or two on a blade recomended by Gunnar rather than to change to some third party manufacturer even if the blades are of the same quality and hardness and a few cents cheaper.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Ian,
Personally I wouldn't use anything but Gunnar blades. To me it doesn't make sense to buy a machine that costs 10's of thousands of dollars then try to save a few cents on each blade!

I find the Gunnar blades excellent and cut perfectly for so long that it only costs around 2-4 cents per opening! If an average custom frame cost is $150, for example, the saving of a fraction of a cent on that job doesn't amount to much.

Much more importantly than that is loyalty! I get support from the Gunnar technicians that is way better than I could ever have expected and I would not offend them by buying any other blades!