Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Displaying chevrons

Post by Coxby »

I have just binned all the molding samples I haven't used in the last 6-12 months and now I have a pathetic number of 'favourites' of which the clients' eye is drawn to on entering the workshop. The question is how many moldings should one display; the whole lot, a select few or none at all?
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I display everything, even a sample of that single stick of floral pattern that we have had in the back of our store since the dawn of time that nobody will admit to having ordered in the first place.

Although we all know that 90% of the frames that we make are goung to be chosen from one of the 20 or so profiles that is our 'core' range, the customer feels that he has actually made a selection from the couple of hundred which are on display.

While we know that no one is ever likely to choose that floral pattern, our customer derives satisfaction from having considered it as an option - then rejecting it.

I believe customers are impressed when they see a large number of samples on dipslay. The 'core' range just wouldn't cut it.
sarah

Post by sarah »

I think there is a lot to be said for just the bare essentials. If I had to make a choice from all the frames we have on display I would run out of the shop screaming, no sorry that's just my normal reaction to work :wink:

Seriuosly though I think that too much choice can be a bad thing leading to people not being able to decide and walking out.
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Chevrons

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

I have about 150 on show on 3, 48 x 36 boards, in my workshop, I also have the duplicates on show downstairs for customers, but only with 2 boards, so we keep changing the samples around, but all are available.

We also mainly use the Arqadia catalogue to source mouldings for customers, to match up, etc., and we have other catalogues available if required. The internet is also a good place to source mouldings.

We, like Sarah could do with going through all our chevron samples and chucking out what hasnt been used for a time.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Likewise, 150 chevrons on display on 3 rotating carousels.

As more suppliers are now working chop, then we will slowly add more to the display.

Which way do you go ?? Statements like "Wow, just too much choice" or "Oh, is that all you have" do not really help.
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Chevrons

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

"There's nowt as queer as folk" Like you say John, you cannot win.

I looked into the idea of rotating stands, and could not come up with a place that was 'out of the way' enough to place them, thats why I went for the undividual wall boards. Now that I have mentioned this subject to my wife she has started her clear out already, but she is loathe to bin them as such, as 'you never know'

Jeepers, even I cannot win.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Post by Coxby »

I've reached a decision to display 200 mouldings and have just finished installing the wooden battons ready to receive my J-Rails. Thank you all for your input and when done I will post a photo on the website www.crframing.co.uk [shameless plug] :wink: