Canvas keeps relaxing

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Canvas keeps relaxing

Post by ChrisG »

I am stretching a 450 x 650mm canvas, all fine and reasonably taught over Centrado HS1 stretchers. Next day to my surprise canvas it is wobbly as if it has been only loosely stretched. Tried lightly spraying the back and it returned to tautness only to find it slack again the following day. Temperature and humidity in the workshop hardly changes over night.

Any ideas?

Chris G
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Canvas keeps relaxing

Post by JFeig »

What type of canvas are you attempting to stretch? Is it perhaps, synthetic digital printing material? If it is, some of these fabrics have a reputation for being hard to stay taught. Try a better quality brand of digital printing material.

As a second concern, are you using fastened together strainer stock or real "stretcher bars". Stretcher bars are adjustable.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Canvas keeps relaxing

Post by Not your average framer »

There are some synthetic canvas materials around, I've only encoutered one in all my years of framing and it was not a digital printed canvas, but that kept on stretching. I had to cut the narrow end of the adjustment wedges so that I could drive the wedges in futher to eventually get the canvas to stay tight. It was a canvas someone bought while on holiday and brought back home with them. I guess that where ever it came from, they could not go wrong, as nobody is going to fly back half way around the world to try and get their money back!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer