fallen mirror

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

fallen mirror

Post by Trinity »

customer has rung to say his mirror has fallen off the wall because of my "inferior" chord. I completed the work two years ago though I've no idea how long it's been up.

I'm popping round tomorrow, because i want to see how it's been hung - I suspect just 1 fixing rather than the 2 horizontally fixed ones I (may have) recommended.

If it's just 1 I will offer to re-cord, or direct him to another sort of fixing.

But how would you deal with this please - the mirror is intact though there is some damage to skirting apparently.

I'm not sure what he's after until I get there
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: fallen mirror

Post by Justintime »

Check what has caused it to drop. What has failed? D rings? Screws? Cord knots? Are they still tied as you tied them or have they retied them to make it shorter for one fixing instead of two? Did the wall fixings fail? People often don't see what is right in front of them until it is pointed out. I imagine the customer was simply expressing his anger and frustration at the failure and was looking to blame you, because lets face it some customers are just dicks..
If you're using Lions cords, check the website for the tested weights of each size of cord. They are actually so strong it is unlikely that the cord itself has failed. It's much more likely to be one of the fixings or bad knots from the customer.
You're not sure what he's after? He's probably after you taking the blame. He'll feel better and it'll get the wife off his back who told him not to re-tie it in the first place and to just use two fixings like you said...I digress.
Just go in there like a CSI agent, look at the evidence and calmly point out your findings as you go. Take a tool kit with everything that you could possibly need to re-D ring, re-cord etc. Also check the frame for any damage. Assuming it's not your fault, if necessary you can advise to take the piece away and fix the frame for a fee. Unless you are experienced at installations and have the necessary insurance in place I would not even think about rehanging it for him.
Remember, how you fix problems is just another side of your customer service. It's important wherever possible to resolve the problem leaving them feeling heard and looked after. It's all about the experience.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

thanks - my thoughts similar. Can anyone direct me to the little diagram that was on the forum showing the effect of 1 and two fixings, posted quite a while ago
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Here it is.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220315-083758_Photos.jpg
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer