Wrapping Prints in Clear Plastic

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
iorek
Organisation: A Picture Framing One
Interests: Sport, Art, Photography,

Wrapping Prints in Clear Plastic

Post by iorek »

Hi

I've been asked by a customer to wrap prints in clear plastic (cellophane?). This is something I've never done before. Any ideas how I go about it?

Do I buy a roll of clear plastic and cut to size? How would I seal it? I'm assuming it's a fairly simple process but I can't figure out the correct words to ask google!

Thanks
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Wrapping Prints in Clear Plastic

Post by Justintime »

Have a look at Lion 2509 Polyprop Clear Wrapping film. I use Scotch Magic tape.
Burnishing the folds helps and if you put a little tape over where the mountboard ends on the big folds then it stops it rolling back so much, if that makes any sense.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Or larson juhl item no 999000059, is the same but a lot cheaper, surprisingly.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Thanks for the heads up on this Justin, quite a saving!
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
iorek
Organisation: A Picture Framing One
Interests: Sport, Art, Photography,

Post by iorek »

Thanks folks, appreciate it!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Do you need to add an internal stiffener made of mountboard to avoid the prints being subject to creasing and bending during handling? Maybe it's worth considering doing this!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Yes, I'd assumed they were mounted. A piece of mountboard at least or CorriCon would look ok too.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

If they are standard sizes, use print bags,
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

My local packaging supplier supplies me with Crystal plastic bags. They are not only quite reasonably priced, but also surprisingly durable. I don't sell prints very much, but I find these bags quite useful for presenting ready cut mounts for sale. They are mostly all about presentation and in case you are wondering, do I sell many mounts? Well not all that many, but they sort of slowly tick over a bit. My packaging supplier packs these bags in smaller quantities for some customers are they are quite useful. What are the bags made from? I think that they are probably a polypropylene polymer mixed with something else in increase the durability. I also pack small ready made frames in them as well and it stops them getting messed up with sticky fingers, while people are looking at them. I don't actually buy bigger bags so I can't tell you have much the larger bags would cost. Some of these bags have easy peel plastic strips which expose self adhesive strips to seal the bags. I don't ask for the seal adhesive strips, but that often just the way that come. Some have the self adhesive strips and some don't.

Making money buy selling ready cut mounts takes a bit of sales technique to get any worthwhile sales at all. My mounts are made using left over bit of mountboard and I tell my customer for ready made frames that if they buy a mount at the same time as buying the ready made frame, thay I will let them have the mount at half price and some customers can be persuaded to going this. In cse you are thinking lots of customers are wanting this, well perhaps a few, but it's not necessarily really big sales! However I don't tend to keep a really varied stock of ready made frames in much of a range of frame sizes, but I have a stock of mount to adapt different sized frames to enable them to be used for different sized images. Customers usually will accept a larger frame, with a mount to fit their image into that frame, especially when they get the added mount for half price. I guess you could say that it's a sprat to catch a macerel. Another way that I make use of these is to frame pictures on a while you wait basis and there is a small extra charge for doing this.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer