starting out

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

starting out

Post by markw »

I thought that this would be the perfect starter subject for newbie corner - where do you start - in the garage - on the high street? How much does it cost? What makes your business successful? What are the pitfalls?
Lots of questions - do we have any answers.

I started by setting up in a relatively cheap shop in the less prosperous end of a Cotswold market town. My brother had been framing for a few years - selling at local markets - I thought it would be a good idea to take the framing up market. I looked for a spot that had little competition - opened the door and the business took off - I can’t say that we made any profit for months - it takes time - but slowly we got a reputation for reliability and quality.

We moved to a centre of town high street property ten years ago - business doubled - the rent quadrupled and when things go quiet it can be worrying - whatever happens the first thing I have to do is pay the rent and rates - I don’t see much change from £1500 - that’s a lot of frames. Having said that, we make a reasonable living. I used to employ 1 framer - I don’t anymore as my wife now frames with me as a partner in the business - it cut down on a hell of a lot of paperwork and we turn out just as many frames.

Being a two man band and producing a lot of good quality work means that you have to have the right kit to produce - I invest a lot of money in good kit - I update regularly and try and make sure the machinery I have is kept in tip top condition. I am sure when we go around other framers workshops we all look to see how they do it - I am constantly amazed at the age of some of the kit I see - i would have pensioned it off years ago - but that’s the way I work.

So we have the premises - with well kitted out workshop - let the general public in - smile - they might think you know what you’re doing! - How much - your new to this game - it seems like a lot of money - I must be too expensive - keep prices low - DONT! Too many framers undercharge. do a little bit of a survey of the framers in your area - look at the real costs involved - remember you have to pay the landlord - the local council - the electric - the phone - the taxman - glass - moulding etc. oh! don’t forget you - its nice to be able to put some money in your personal bank account - you will have earnt it.

My advice - get a computer and a pricing programme - Joe public trusts computers - for some reason if you work out the price using a table on a piece of paper they are sure you got it wrong - tap away at a computer - all but the hardened negotiators don’t ask - learn how to deal with negotiators - always remember every penny you give them comes out of your pocket. Flip side of this - always use your newly found negotiating skills on moulding reps - you will rarely win, but its fun trying. beware the pretty blonde rep - they are normally selling prints not mouldings - my wife gives me a warning thick ear and reminds me I am short - fat - grey and fifty :(

Lastly - you will find the local FATG are a friendly, helpful bunch - you can normally go to branch meetings without being a member - look in Picture Business for details.
evanstheframe

Starting Out

Post by evanstheframe »

Hi markw,
Nice to see this starting off. My side as a newbie is this.
I started by just trying to make frames for my own paintings using a mitre saw and a hand pinner. The frame was held using a small band clamp. That was about a year or so ago. As time past I was asked by the art class I attend if I would make them a frame or two. This turned out to be more than a few. I progressed to a garage set up with chop saw and small bench guillotine. Last summer I took the plunge and bought a log cabin for my garden (16' x 12'). I can never get to a shop status as I am disabled and need to work from home so the cabin was my best option.
I carried on working from the garage but bought an underpinner for the cabin. I did my messy cutting in the garage and all the fitting down the cabin. Things have got better over time so I thought I would take it a stage further. After great advice on this forum I took a deep breath and bought myself a Morso F shortly followed by a Keencut Ultimat Gold Mountcutter. This outlay will take my small business a while to make back but now I can offer a better standard of workmanship and a far quicker turn around on a job. The jobs are comming in but slow. There again I work from home and not from shop in town. I tend to go on word of mouth and it has served me well so far. I am happy at the level I am as it keeps me active and away from the TV. However, I will be pushing on and trying to be the best I can. When I can I will be taking a course in advanced framing (look out Steven) and sitting my GCF exam.
I have the best of both worlds. If I am not framing for people I am painting for myself. I also now have all the best gear to frame my paintings. I am trying to get together a collection of paintings ready to hold an exhibition of my own. When I have enough I will be pestering all the local galleries for an exhibition. Fingers crossed, wish me luck.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

This will sound similiar to Mark. After 32 years in the RN, I retired and needed to do something that I enjoyed and would keep me active. Our priority was to stay in our present location. West Cornwall.

My sister and her then husband ran two framing shops, one in Portsmouth and one in Southsea, so we really 'ran off the back' of them and used their knowledge and information.

So, two years before retiring and with the help of a 'start up' package from SIMONS, we - my wife and I - set up as a cottage/garage industry in a purpose built workshop. Suffice to say, that within 1 year, we outgrew this and looked for more permanent retail outlet.

Lady Luck was certainly shining on us, as the ideal property - the one in which we still have - came available as a leasehold. Here started many sleepless nights, number crunching, visits to bank managers etc. Very occassionally those sleepless nights reappear. We are at the end of our 'trial' six year lease and now wish to continue, However, the Landlords obviously think we are making money hand over fist, as they are trying to double the rent. Curently £9000 pa. We will see !!! there are currently 5 empty retail properties empty in the town, so that will be used as a good comparator at the discussion stage.

We took the plunge, with my wife running the business whilst I was in my last year of service. Fortunately a very good resettlement course in picture framing was available. so that was snapped up.

Then, we had two other competitors in the town, but it quickly became apparent that one of them just did not have any pride in his work, as we were getting a lot of re-works. At the present day, our other competitor has just closed his shop and is in a unit doing framing only.

I studied for and succesfully completed the GCF exam at LIONS. Whilst I am not sure that the qualification will mean anything to the public, it did give me a good grounding, a base to work from and a working practices level that I will never go below.

Equipment is regularly maintained and I am happy(ish) with my inventory. Morso, Keencut Gold Mountcutter, Keencut Oval cutter, Cassesse underpinner.
I say ish, because I am seriously thinking of investing in a CMC - standby for a visit Mark - depending on the outcome of the lease discussion.

Looking back, I could not have completed this venture without the help of my sister, she very quickly brought my wife and I back down to earth. Somehow you just do not think about, telephone, electricity, food, rates. etc etc. when you are in the planning stage.

Like Mark says, a good POS computer, is worth its cost. It really did amuse me to see the customers, haggle with my sister when she would use the cutomary calculator and table. Now they just look at the screen with all (well nearly) the working out on and just say "Oh OK".

Oh yes Reps are fun!!! They really do try to offload their 'dead stock' or slow movers onto you. I will admit that in the early stages I did bow to their pressure and selling technique. Ended up with a lot of moulding going nowhere. Except for making ready mades. Now, it is quite easy to say politely "No thankyou".

Trade shows are a must, there is so much information available, you come away with so many ideas, hints and tips, that is takes a whole year to put them into practice. For me, belonging to a professional body is also a must. The Logo does work and it is comforting just to know that there is somebody on the end of a telephone that may be able to help, Having said that, The Grumble and now this Forum have become the help and advice desk for us.

It took us 5 years to 'turn the corner' and we are now moving forward. My only regret. In the service I had a guaranteed (???) holiday period and so could make plans with the family to get away. So holidays now have to be taken between Christmas and Easter when local and holiday trade is on the low side.

My retirement is now really enjoyable, but we are both working harder than we ever did. Oh what joy being your own boss.

Good Luck to all those newbies. Read, learn and continue reading.
John GCF
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Newbies

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

There isnt much more that can be said, markw has basically covered it all.

I started from my garden shed as a hobby after I had had a spinal operation, so I wanted something to stop me going stir crazy. This hobby ceased after 9 months when I needed another spinal operation, and then 12 months R&R lying on ones back, then after that it was back to hobby again. In the meantime I had read all I could lay my hands on, so at least I could do it, albeit in my head. I can remember my first ever frame, I made it 15 x 12 and put gthe next door neighbours mounted school photograph in it, taped it up, etc. and after doing exaclt what my supplier had told me, 'if it cost you £5, charge £10' did just that, and gave her the money back......my door for two years never stopped. In the end I had taken over the shed, the dining room and the spare bedroom, so it was either carry on and wife leave, or do as I was told and go find premises, which we did, and havent looked back.

We like markw found the cheaper end of the town first and then moved into much larger premises within 2 years, but forunately unlike markw's situation our rent didnt increase (it was cheaper) but the rates much higher. We have since (I posted on this) had a 50% increase in rent, but honestly after a few fears has made no impact at all toour finances.

One thing I would say about testing out the competition is this. If your end product is of excellent quality, the frame is sound, the mounts are cut with no over cuts / undercuts, etc. its properly taped up and you done exactly what you have charged for and not made any scurrilous claims, about your business or standards you say you frame to and then either dont or simply cannot, then your business will thrive. One thing I have always remembered my supplier when I started out was this....People have to leave the house to come to you, if you offer the right quality, etc. this is one job you can actually sit on your arse and watch them come to through your door' I have done this, but there are times when youn ahve to get off your backside and make it happen.

Lyn wrote:
I will be pushing on and trying to be the best I can. When I can I will be taking a course in advanced framing (look out Steven) and sitting my GCF exam.
An excellent choice, as John says, read, and learn, you will see the benefits. I am looking forward to your visit for the 5 day course during the summer 'I hope' If you'd stop buying all that equipment you could have been here and had it done, etc.....hahahahahahahahaha

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre