'just looking'

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
sarah

'just looking'

Post by sarah »

I know that this has been discussed before but I have just had the old cage rattled again this morning.

Why do people not understand good manners. When anyone walks into our shop I like to welcome them with 'hello', after all it would down right ignorant to ignore someone wouldn't it?

So this morning I was no different to any other day and said hello to the visitor who had just walked in. Instead of a 'good morning' in return Iwas met with an outstretched arm with the hand in a 'stay back' geture and the words I loathe - 'I'm only looking'

How do you reply to that without being rude, if any of you have any ideas please let me know.

I'm going to recline in a darkened room before I shove the pictures down her throat. I'm calm, really I am :? :?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

My Irish Grand Father always used to say to me "Manners cost nothing, but can buy you the world". How very very true.

Like you Sarah, when ever anyone walks into the shop, I will always greet them, even if serving a customer already, I will make eye contact and say "With you shortly sir/madam"

We could have retired by now if we had a £1 for every "Just looking" comment.

My usual retort now is to say "Please do so, that doesnt cost anything".

They then do insist on trying to get out of the door, without being noticed and not even a "Thankyou".

Now that annoys me more than the ignorant entrance, so is normally followed by a very loud "Thankyou to you, please come again".

Unfortunately it is the more elderly who 'forget' their manners, the majority of youngsters are usualy bubbly, smiling and polite.
:twisted:
John GCF