2nd hand Excalibur/Fletcher etc advice

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

2nd hand Excalibur/Fletcher etc advice

Post by WannabeFramer »

Me again.... :oops: This isn't really a 'help', more general advice please.

After a couple of discussions my interest has been piqued in looking out for a sheet material cutter. (One I was tempted by has been sold, meh.) It would be a big outlay for me and I am aware some can be 'well used' so I need to choose wisely.

Just looking for guidance on things to look out for if I see one and anything to beware of. Any specific parts that can wear and be costly to replace or any models to avoid in terms of part availability?

I had been musing a Fletcher 3100 but I think an Excalibur 5000 is pretty much the same, albeit some changes with changing the cutting head. Are they pretty much equal and it just comes down to personal preference? Which of the earlier models could be worth looking at? Any that are a PITA, or any bad experiences?

In summary, how could I judge a good vs bad one?

I'm in no rush, just would like to be prepared if something suitable comes up.

(If you see this, thank you for your advice earlier YPF :) )
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: 2nd hand Excalibur/Fletcher etc advice

Post by JKX »

Having only ever owned a keencut I couldn’t say which is best for sure - but!!
They’re both great machines and I’d be happy with whichever depending on price, age and condition.
Also maybe depending on the seller’s knowledge - is it just someone selling it on or someone who knows it inside out and can demonstrate calibrations as well as operation.

Fletcher has hall bearings and keencut has nylon bearings. I’m not really a fan of nylon bearings, none of the tour of France bikes use them! However, if maintained they’re fine and when mine became not fine, keencut sent a complete new set with all the fixing screws FOC, their support is the best.

The keencut has a rotating head which is quicker to switch from blades to glass cutting wheel than the Fletcher, but if you use MDF, the Fletcher is quicker at switching over to that than the keencut, but both are fast enough for most framers anyway.

I think the problem I may have with the Fletcher would be “where the hell did I put that ######## blade holder”!!
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I would say that for a small bespoke framer a wall mounted material cutter will give you a huge production boost, and will pay for itself many times over. Like anything - I would go for the newest/best you can afford.

The basic difference between the Keencut and the Fletcher is that the Keencut has the different cutting heads on a rotary head, and the Fletcher has the different heads that are slotted in and out as required. I've used both, and I would be very happy with either. In terms of what to look out for - on a Keencut the rotary head is an expensive replacement if it doesn't work, and on a Fletcher, make sure all of the cutting heads are present.

As these machines are wall-mounted they tend to stay pretty square and accurate, but as soon as you dismantle them and move them to a new location you will have to spend a couple of hours squaring and calibrating - this is easier on a newer machine that has not been dismantled regularly, and definitely best if you have all of the original bolts etc, so look out for those - often best to dismantle the machine yourself, so none of the bits go missing.

Both Fletcher and Keencut variants are extremely well made, so very old examples of each are in daily use, and come up for sale reasonably regularly. Spare parts, however, can be quite expensive, so many of the older models around have been 'bodged' at some point to keep them going. These can still be a good proposition for somebody who is prepared to tinker and improvise. They are after all quite simple machines.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Look for any signs that it may have been dropped?? Like all equipment, it's best if you can try before you buy. If it looks cared for, it often has been and vice versa. I'd always look for a machine that has come from a low volume bespoke rather than high volume production framing shop.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

Just buy the Fletcher, it’s better built, made from far better materials and just works.

Don’t waste your money on an Excalibur.
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thank you all, very helpful. I was offline yesterday and just catching up.

So I understand the Fletcher is on bearings and the Keencut will need periodic adjustment. They would both need some time spent re-calibrating when being reassembled. That's OK, I don't mind tinkering. Keencut have a good reputation for customer service. And some have a preference for one or the other.

Although I am not in a rush, there are a couple that have I seen not too far away I wondered what your thoughts would be.

Excalibur 5000 (the one in the sale section here, but on ebay so a fluid price). The seller is happy for me to view and give me a demo.

Keencut system 4000. An unknown quantity as it came from a job lot and not needed, and I would be buying blind, but have been offered at a cheap price.

There is also a Fletcher 3100 on Facebook with the description - "This item has been unused for some time and is in need of some TLC hence the crazy price to reflect work needed". It is £200, so definitely crazy but I am wondering what work it would need? I have asked if any of the cutting heads are included. It is also a few hours drive away so a good £100 fuel on top of whatever parts could be needed.

Mark Thornton - why so against the Excalibur?
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Get used to travelling, for the right piece of equipment at the right price. I managed to get a hotpress 360 in my car with a cm to spare.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Well rather unexpectedly, had van, did travel. :lol:

I have now got me an Excalibur 5000 at a price I could manage. All seen working in situ, all parts present. A bit of disassembly needed to fit in my van but nothing I can’t put back together myself. Now to spend some time reading the manual and tinkering to calibrate it. And figuring out where to put it :lol:

Thank you for all your advice, I am one very happy bunny.