Double Mounting

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
CreativePhotographer
Organisation: Anna Briggs Creative Photography
Interests: Dogs, creative photography and walking..... lots of walking!!

Double Mounting

Post by CreativePhotographer »

I'm just about to embark on a bit of double mounting.. is there a rule of thumb of which colours to go for? I'm guessing to pick a colour within my photograph is a good start! :D (and mat on mat as I understand).

I am also looking for a good quality mountboard in Lavender.... I've looked at Colourmount's purples but they're not right for me. I did come across a beautiful lavender (I can't remember where now) but I would have to buy 4 sheets... my requirement is tiny so if I can avoid this.
Any pointers would be great!
Many thanks.
The Creative Photographer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Double Mounting

Post by JFeig »

With a very small volume shop as yours; have you considered a custom painted bevel or slip?
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Have you thought of using a professional picture framer for your mounting requirements?? We are generally a friendly bunch. Not only could you be supplied with a double mount for your work, but you could also benefit from the design experience that many of us strive to offer. It is worth noting that a trained professional will also be able to advise you of the best practice techniques for mounting photography and artwork onto mountboard, something that incredibly few professional artist seem to know about, in my experience...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
CreativePhotographer

Post by JFeig » Mon 21 Aug, 2023 2:39 pm

Thanks JFeig for suggesting a custom painted bevel or slip - I will look into this.

Justintime.. thanks so much for your suggestions but I am a professional framer who has had professional training from a professional framer.. it was really just to see if anyone had any suggestions on a lavender mount... but thank you! :D
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Anna - have a look at Crescent’s 1714 Royal Orchid in their Select 17 range. Available in single sheets from Wessex. Really nice colour which may fit the bill. The only issue is it being a 1.7mm board, so you would probably need to buy your other board from that range too. If you can get a colour card from Wessex it’s always worth having this range in your back pocket. It’s a really striking range of colours that have got me out of trouble numerous times.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Apologies Anna. Neither your bio on the right hand side of your post or your website make any mention of picture framing. It seems like a reasonable conclusion to make.
Justin George GCF(APF)
prospero

Post by prospero »

Coloured mounts really are an '80s thing. I rarely use strongly coloured mounts nowadays and stick to mainly
pale, neutral shades with just a hint of colour. People think a colour in the mount will 'pick up' a colour
in the image. It won't. It's a heavy-handed method used by people who don't really understand colour theory.
As for double mounts, two light, neutral shades will accentuate a picture much better than strong darker ones.
It's all about the picture. The mounts should be subservient. There are exceptions, but generally it's best to go
for understatement. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Well said.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Prospero, I'll just leave this here...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliviaobry ... b3f584218e
Justin George GCF(APF)
CreativePhotographer

Thanks all for you sage advice.. will take on board everything which has been said.

That's fine Justintime..... no probs.... I don't advertise the fact as I'm not framing for Joe Public at the present time. Maybe one day down the line! :D
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

If depends on a whole load of things, a fluorescent magenta mount would be horrific around a nice traditional watercolour but it must look ok around something, to someone, somewhere, even if just the inner of your double mount.

Everyone has different ideas but some are unwilling to shift from them.

My own are that you can complement, match, contrast or just go totally unrelated just for fun - ic it’s a fun thing you’re framing.

Generally with double (or more) mounts, I would go for darker inner and lighter outer but avoid two dark colours, not least of all
because of the stark white of a bevel between the two mounts, and if the artwork is also dark, two stark white bevels, which of course can be dealt with though.

Some examples, which cannot be wrong because they are right for the owners! A metallic black mount with a silver slip (mount reverse bevelled, of course) giving a spotlight effect, a neutral mount with a dark inner, to contrast against the print’s paper margin and a deep wrapped bevel.

On Bugs, most would go white mount black frame, go to ikea for that :-)

Make your own rules and break them on a regular basis.
Attachments
IMG_0140.jpeg
IMG_2127.jpeg
IMG_3985.jpeg
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
CreativePhotographer

Great, many thanks for your words of confidence! :D