Anybody recognise this?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Anybody recognise this?

Post by JonathanB »

I’ve been asked to frame a canvas using this moulding. He has another framed in the same moulding and wants to match them. He says that the existing canvas was framed about ten years ago, but he’s been unable to contact the original framer. Anybody recognise it? I’ve looked through a number of websites but can’t see it. Many thanks.
8CD022D2-EE4B-4E7C-9D43-3104A274306D.jpeg
B7B210DC-24A0-4F53-B86D-8619F1E04864.jpeg
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Anybody recognise this?

Post by JKX »

I used to get that from two suppliers, Simons & Nielsen - both discontinued it.

I think the best you can hope for is similar, as in ribbed - if you haven’t looked at L Juhl, check from page 202 here.

https://issuu.com/larson-juhl/docs/lj_c ... _hr_300dpi
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
JonathanB

Post by JonathanB »

Thanks John - appreciate the quick reply. I thought this might be the case. I’m sorting out some suitable alternatives from LJ for him to look at, so hopefully there’ll be something he likes the look of.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's still on the Simons site. Whether they have any or not is anyone's guess. Says 120 on the page. :D

https://djsimons.co.uk/product/regency- ... old-heavy/
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JonathanB

Post by JonathanB »

Thanks very much for looking this out, Prospero. While it's a pretty good alternative, it's a lot wider than the original.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I bought some a long time ago in a job lot from a framer which was closing down, it originally came from Euro mouldings. The Frinton Gallery have it in various widths in the mouldings calalogue, these are hand made mouldings, not all that cheap but beaufully produced. I could not sell the lengh which I had, so I made it into a mirror, even then I had trouble trying to sell it.

It is quite a chunky moulding and some what difficult to cut and join. Not particularly easy to cou on a Morso, if you can buy it on chop, It it more likely to join properly if it has been cut on a double bladed saw. BTW, being such a chunky moulding you can't really produce a frame of any worthwhile size from just one length of moulding.

Buying it by length and cut it your sellf is likely to be a loosing proposition, as even long left overs wont be long enough to make any frame of worthwhile size. Personally I would get the whole frame made to order from Frinton Gallery and add my margin on top.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JKX
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

Ignore my previous reply, I didn’t pay attention to your measuring tape!
I was thinking of the one in Prospero’s link.

Mark, it’s only 60mm wide and the Morso can cope with it easily, and so could it if it was wider.
John Turner

Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi john,

You are right! My moulding length was a lot wider than 60mm. It was also too high for the maximum height of the morso blades, I had to pul them up further by hand!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JKX

Post by JKX »

Well, being high at the back of the moulding then yours must have been REALLY high! (Or your blades really low 😂. )
John Turner

Not your average framer

No, it was a really big moulding!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Many Apollylodgies. :P I should have gone to Specsavers. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About