Limited edition film/game posters - framing but not quite

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Limited edition film/game posters - framing but not quite

Post by WannabeFramer »

Hi all,

I am doing a local business a favour and I am probably overthinking it.

They get a fair few gaming/film posters sent to them as POV products which they want to make use of once the promotions are finished. They basically want to have them flattened and then packaged up to be sold or given away as prizes. It will then be up to the buyer if/when/where/how to get them framed.

Some are cheap-as-chips throwaway posters but others are rather rare and need to be kept in mint condition, but presented nicely in the packaging.

Is it just a case of flattening them (under boards, I don't have a press), cutting some backing to size and then tightly wrapping in cellophane? Would this stay flat? Or is there another better method?

I did suggest packaging with a mount but they were not keen as they look better without, and would probably end up framed without a mount I imagine.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Limited edition film/game posters - framing but not quite

Post by JKX »

The better ones would be best framed with a mount - then they can be mounted with no adhesive and will be kept from the glass, otherwise there’s the spacers-not-touching-the-artwork issue which was recently discussed and often is, but that, bar any which may come to you, is out of your hands.

Cello wrapping to a board cut slightly larger will flatten them, unless they’re like springs, but leaving them under weight for a while as you describe will help if so.

Have a look at this for future reference - there’s a video.

http://www.aztek.com/Deroller.html

When I first watched this I thought “it’s just a glorified roller blind”! So I went to Dunelm and found one with no wall fittings in their reduced section for a tenner; made a few adaptions to it and it worked perfectly!
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Ooh, I'm sure I can find a defunct blind somewhere to experiment with. I have a few of the throwaway posters to experiment on with no repercussions so good shout, thanks!

I mentioned the mount for framing but I suppose that will be down to the buyer. But they will also promote me for framing so I may do a demo one for them to display and show a mount can look nice!

As long as I can package them without a mount to start with, that keeps my time and costs down so thanks for confirming.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Years ago shrink wrapping of posters was a big business for picture framers in the US. Today, nothing to speak of being shrink wrapped that I know of.

With your business owner had on, is it something that you really want to get into? How much money can you make?
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Oh I'm not making a penny on these, it is purely a favour. :D They will cover the cost of any materials if I need but labour is free. I don't want to cut any corners though.

They are a small business with a big heart and do a huge amount for our local community. They have done a lot to promote me - much of my work has come through them simply handing out my business cards. (There used to be a framer on the premises so lots of people go there not realising they closed)

So I am very happy to help them out. Others have reached out to help me and I believe in paying it forward where I can. And you never know, some of the poster people may come to me for the framing so win-win I think.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Good for you :clap: :clap:
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

So, you are talking about "giving back o the community" project.

That is a totally different view on the project
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com