Making Tax Digital

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
prospero

Making Tax Digital

Post by prospero »

OK, here a funny kettle of fish..........

A while ago it was decided that VAT returns had to be submitted digitally, as members are no doubt aware.
So I get it all set up on my PC and try to brush-up on the intricacies of Excel. Previously I wrote all my accounts
in a book of real paper with a real pen.
I eventually got it all sorted and have submitted a few returns this way. No problemo. :D

Anyhow just done my last one and have the spreadsheet with all the figures in place.

So I open my MTD program and the first thing you do is authorise the program to use you tax information from HRMC.

*click* Opens HMRC login page. I enter all my credentials (same ones as always) and then I get a strange page open that
informs me that "You Cannot Access The Service From This Page" and directs me to the home page. Which is a dead end.

After sifting through the online help stuff which was no use whatsoever I decided to ring HMRC.
After holding for about a hour I finally spoke to a human. Nice chap who tried his best to help, although I got the
impression he was as baffled as I was. He finally arranged a callback (today something). I did get him to put a note on my
account to the effect that if my return is late in submission it wasn't for want of trying.

Not looking for serious solutions here - unless someone he one. :clap: It's just that I envisioned something like this happening
when they started all this digital palaver. And I was right. :lol: Oh for the days when I filled in a form and strolled down the road
to post it.....

Thanks for reading. 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Making Tax Digital

Post by JKX »

My wife did all our accounts but when this came along she got so frustrated that she used an accountant for it only.

They’re all set up with the best software and only have to enter the stuff you send them. The problem for many was, there was just not enough money in it for them and they weren’t interested.

We finally found a good/willing one - thirty quid a quarter, money well spent on grief and stress saving alone.

It’s all on line so if you want to go that route but if you can’t find anyone we can pass details on.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've just had a nice lady ring to try and resolve the issue. :D

She says it likely an issue with their software. We went through setting up a new online VAT account, but that one
wouldn't let me sign in as well.

At least I know it's not my fault. :clap:

Anyhow, she said I could make the payment via bank transfer, which I always do and that would save me getting penalties.

In the meantime she told me to try again and if no-go raise a ticket with their IT dept. That should be interesting.... :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I’m sure my accountant told me that excel is no longer accepted and that you need to use quickbooks or xero type programs.

I’m with John, long ago decided it was worth the money to pay an accountant to deal with HMRC so I don’t have to. I send him the excel and he uses approved software to submit. Charges next to nothing for it
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/