Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

A thread of gratitude

Post by WannabeFramer »

Not quite enough for the announcement section, but for me it's huge.

I finally got the keys to my workshop today! :D

I just wanted to say thank you to each and every one of you who has answered my questions, reached out to me, offered advice and been generally patient with my often random musings.

In December 2022, a-friend-of-a-friend heard I had some bought framing equipment and asked if I could frame something for them. A few more requests followed and in April 2023 I thought I'd test the waters and start trading. I wasn't even confident cutting glass. I made many mistakes. I lost heart, I lost confidence, I lost money. At times I wondered who the hell I was trying to kid. I would have more time and money if I just went full time in my day job.

But I have always wanted a crafty business, and framing fulfils my fickle personality (each frame is a mini project I have to finish), and I love doing it.

So with your help I picked myself up, went on as much training as I could afford, spent every evening reading on here and The Grumble and carried on. I got busier but also more frustrated at my lack of space and the intrusion into my home. So I jumped at a rare opportunity to apply for a local workshop, and couldn't believe it when I was successful. It has taken 3 months for the paperwork to go through, and every week I was bracing myself for something to go wrong. That they had realised they had made a mistake and decided to give it to someone more worthy than little old me.

Standing in the workshop for the first time today, looking around with a cup of tea in my hand, I realised I would never have made it this far without each and every one of you.

So thank you. :-)
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: A thread of gratitude

Post by Rainbow »

I'm really REALLY pleased for you. It's so exciting starting a new venture and I wish you all the luck in the world. I'm glad you've involved us in your journey, and it's been a real pleasure to see how you've progressed. Many congratulations on moving into your workshop, and may you continue to go from strength to strength. :clap: :party: :party:
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

Congratulations. All the best and don't forget to have fun. Exciting times.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

It’s been great following your progress and I’m sure many of us can draw parallels.

Maybe a time will come when you have to decide on giving up the day job.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Post by WannabeFramer »

My day job is a rolling fixed term which has recently been extended for another year so I have the pressure off for a while. Besides, boring as it may be at times, I work from home on flexi-time with good T&Cs so I'm not in a major rush to give it up. It allows me to do build up the framing without the added stress of worrying about the mortgage.

Maybe, one day. But not just yet. :-)
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

Congratulations!

Best of success for you on the new venture!

Mike
Frame shop: Get The Picture Framing RI USA
Administrator: The Picture Framers Grumble
POS & CMC comparison lists: Click Here
JJaston
Organisation: JJ Frames
Interests: Photography, golf, cooking and carpentry;.

Post by JJaston »

Congratulations.

I was just reading your post about home working for a couple of years ago, (I am in a similar position myself) and I wondered how you were getting on now, so this development is great.

All the best with the new work, please post some pictures.

Joe