Compressor Replacement ideas?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Compressor Replacement ideas?

Post by StevenG »

Hi

Our Bambi PT50 compressor is dying and to replace it seems to be around the £1000 mark. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement. It's currently with a local repair shop but I'm not sure how that's going to end. In hindsight I suppose we should have something as a backup for times like this.

I've had a quick look on Google but from what I can see I can get something that produces the same amount of PSI for a much lower cost. Is there any particular reason that the Bambi brand is so expensive?

Cheers
Steven
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Compressor Replacement ideas?

Post by Justintime »

Bambi are "silent". Only a bit louder than a fridge. Mine is about a metre away from me when I work. Most compressors I wouldn't want to be in the same room as, let alone have a conversation while it's powering up.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Bambi is expensive because it describes itself as a 'silent' compressor. That's ideal if you have the compressor in the same room as you.

However, all compressors will give you the same PSI and differ only in the CFM rating, ie that's the volume of compressed air you're using per minute.
If you do a lot of spraying or operate a pneumatic sander, then a CFM of around 6 to 9 is ideal.
If you only use your compressor for some tab guns and an underpinner, then less CFM is required.

Look for a compressor with a 50litre tank, as this holds a good reserve of air which can be used before the motor fires up.

If you want to keep the compressor in the workshop, then replace it with a Bambi.
If you can leave the compressor in another room (the loo), then go for a much cheaper 'piston' compressor. I doesn't matter how long the hose has to be.
Look on Facebook for a 2nd hand garage compressor.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Hutchcox
Organisation: Almost Frameless
Interests: Business, Bicycles and Bouldering

Post by Hutchcox »

A few years back I was in the exact same spot. Picked up a Hyundai 50 from Amazon as a quick fix.

Bambi were incredible, they sent out the parts I needed for free and the Hyundai became a back up.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

All good points folks. I have two, the one for the CMC is emits a hum when filling the larger one (faulty one) can be loud - but at the same time it's only for 1-2mins in the morning and a few 10-20 secs of refilling throughout the day so I don't think the volume would be a real issue for me. Our workshop is separate from the shop area so again, I don't think the sound would be disturbing for any customers.

I will add though that I called Bambi for a bit of assistance and the customer service guy (Pedro) was more than helpful.

Thanks again everyone :) for the replies